POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Political Discussions in this Newsgroup Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:29:38 EDT (-0400)
  Political Discussions in this Newsgroup (Message 1 to 10 of 47)
From: clipka
Subject: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup
Date: 27 Sep 2014 15:04:53
Message: <54270a55$1@news.povray.org>
I've thought about this for a while: What, indeed, is so different
between Saul's posts in this newsgroup, and the other
"political-related" posts here?

The conclusion I've come to is that virtually all politics-related
discussions on this newsgroups have been discussions /among people/
first, and /about politics/ second. It's always about how individual
people think (and feel!) about stuff going on in the world - sometimes
backing up their opinion by external sources, but it's always /their/
opinion.

This is an entirely different approach from someone just presenting
external sources, without relating to them on a personal level.

It seems to me that we, the people participating in this newsgroup, to
the most degree prefer a discussion among peers, rather than discussing
other people's views, let alone that of authorities. Which I consider
quite healthy, because it shows a free spirit, and the desire to come to
one's own conclusion rather than just believe what others say.

I also think it quite healthy because it includes both reason /and/
emotion, and my guess is that this is exactly what most of us like best
about the atmosphere (do you say that in English?) of this newsgroup.

Post a reply to this message

> It seems to me that we, the people participating in this newsgroup, to
> the most degree prefer a discussion among peers, rather than discussing
> other people's views, let alone that of authorities.

Just noticed that I might have picked the wrong word here: What I meant

is highly valued, because they are experts, are perceived as such, or
for some other reason are presumed to know better than most people. Not
sure whether there's a single matching word for this in English.

Post a reply to this message