POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Political Discussions in this Newsgroup : Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:30:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup
From: andrel
Date: 27 Sep 2014 19:15:45
Message: <5427451B.2080105@gmail.com>
On 27-9-2014 21:19, Doctor John wrote:
> On 27/09/14 20:04, clipka wrote:
>>
>> I also think it quite healthy because it includes both reason /and/
>> emotion, and my guess is that this is exactly what most of us like best
>> about the atmosphere (do you say that in English?) of this newsgroup.
>
> Yes, atmosphere is the right word. I agree with you completely.
>
> I would add one thing. The reason we all get on so well is that we
> respect that others may hold contradictory viewpoints;

What is the point of a discussion when you agree?

> we may disagree
> but, although we may attempt to dissuade them from their wrong-headed (
> :-) ) opinions, we don't descend to infantile name-calling.*

Often it is about culture and politics. Which makes it even more
interesting than arguing with your neighbour.
Although most regulars are (older) man from western countries.

Getting a few asians or africans on board would make things even more
interesting (or from latin america, but I am not sure if the last one
was a success). Definitely lacking a female perspective also.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.