POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:29:25 EDT (-0400)
  Really? (Message 1 to 10 of 121)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Really?
Date: 1 Sep 2014 14:11:05
Message: <5404b6b9$1@news.povray.org>
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/numbering/dial-the-code/

Due to telephone number exhaustion, they're asking everybody to upgrade
to IPv6 - er, I mean, they're changing the numbering plan.

Currently, all area codes start with 0. But that means you cannot assign
anybody a telephone number that starts with 0, see? So they're making it
so you always have to dial the area code. That way, we know it's the
area code because it's at the beginning of the number, not because it
starts with a 0.

Rather than, say, add new area codes or something, which would only
affect people assigned these new numbers.

Still, I guess it could be worse...

Post a reply to this message

On 01/09/2014 20:11, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/numbering/dial-the-code/
>
> Due to telephone number exhaustion, they're asking everybody to upgrade
> to IPv6 - er, I mean, they're changing the numbering plan.
>
> Currently, all area codes start with 0. But that means you cannot assign
> anybody a telephone number that starts with 0, see? So they're making it
> so you always have to dial the area code. That way, we know it's the
> area code because it's at the beginning of the number, not because it
> starts with a 0.
>
> Rather than, say, add new area codes or something, which would only
> affect people assigned these new numbers.
>
> Still, I guess it could be worse...

So, how many digits in your new number ?

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)

Post a reply to this message

On 01/09/2014 08:48 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> On 01/09/2014 20:11, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/numbering/dial-the-code/
>>
>> Due to telephone number exhaustion, they're asking everybody to upgrade
>> to IPv6 - er, I mean, they're changing the numbering plan.
>>
>> Currently, all area codes start with 0. But that means you cannot assign
>> anybody a telephone number that starts with 0, see? So they're making it
>> so you always have to dial the area code. That way, we know it's the
>> area code because it's at the beginning of the number, not because it
>> starts with a 0.
>>
>> Rather than, say, add new area codes or something, which would only
>> affect people assigned these new numbers.
>>
>> Still, I guess it could be worse...
>
> So, how many digits in your new number ?

It's exactly the same as the old number, except that now you always have
to dial the area code, rather than only needing to dial it from outside
the area.

...then again, everybody has mobile phones now, which don't have an
"area", so...

Post a reply to this message

> So, how many digits in your new number ?

Here we have this system already in place for some years now. All
numbers have 10 digits, same as mobile numbers by the way.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message