POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? : Re: Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really?
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 2 Sep 2014 08:09:24
Message: <5405b374$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/09/2014 10:01 AM, scott wrote:
>> Due to telephone number exhaustion, they're asking everybody to upgrade
>> to IPv6 - er, I mean, they're changing the numbering plan.
>
> You'd think they could just come up with a system that didn't require a
> "fix" every few years.

You'd think that with everybody moving to VOIP, demand for actual
telephone numbers would be *rapidly decreasing*...

> Seems like only a temporary fix.

Well, yeah... but so is IPv6, technically. ;-)

(Has anybody started using that yet? I know a fair few Linux distros
enable it by default now - and won't tell you how to reliably turn it off!)

> Their previous response to exchanges running out of numbers was to move
> them on to 02x area codes with 8 digit phone numbers - but obviously you
> can only have 10 of them, and I guess they are all used now. Maybe they
> need to introduce 7 digit phone numbers with a 0xxx area code for
> medium-large cities. What about 04xx, 05xx, 06xx numbers, are they used
> for anything?

And to think, the dance school only just replaced their sign with one
that says 01908 rather than 0908...

Still, at least they're not running out of country codes, eh?