POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Really? (Message 21 to 30 of 121)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Really?
Date: 3 Sep 2014 06:51:37
Message: <5406f2b9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.09.2014 12:38, schrieb scott:
>>> Also it's stupid how most (all?) broadband providers force you to have a
>>> phone as well - I suspect a lot of people would be happy to pay a bit
>>> less and not have a landline at all.
>>>

>> You need the landline to get the internet service to your router. So you
>> are paying line rental and get the phone service as a freebie.
>
> There must be some costs that could be cut though if a significant
> number of people didn't want the phone service on their line (I'm
> thinking less equipment in the exchange etc). After all if you choose
> just a phone line without internet it's cheaper than having both, but
> there's no option for just internet without phone.

With most providers nowadays offering only VoIP, there's not a single
piece of hardware the phone service requires on the provider's side, and
the data volume of phone service is rather small compared to today's
internet.

Phone line without internet access is cheaper because you pay for less
bandwidth.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Also it's stupid how most (all?) broadband providers force you to have a
>>> phone as well - I suspect a lot of people would be happy to pay a bit
>>> less and not have a landline at all.
>>>

>> You need the landline to get the internet service to your router. So you
>> are paying line rental and get the phone service as a freebie.
>
> There must be some costs that could be cut though if a significant
> number of people didn't want the phone service on their line (I'm
> thinking less equipment in the exchange etc).After all if you choose
> just a phone line without internet it's cheaper than having both, but
> there's no option for just internet without phone.

 From my experience, helping my Sister-in-law move from having a BT
phone line and Aol T'internet to a single provider.

You can still have separate services but a combined service is cheaper
than either single service.

--

Regards
     Stephen