POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yeah, I'm here ... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:01 EDT (-0400)
  Yeah, I'm here ... (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Mike Raiford
Subject: Re: Yeah, I'm here ...
Date: 24 Aug 2014 20:47:33
Message: <53fa87a5@news.povray.org>
On 8/22/2014 8:24 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 06:33:15 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

>>> Good to hear things are going well - where'd you find the oldschool
>>> keyboard, and what type of connector is on it?
>>>
>>> Jim
>>
>> Fry's. It's actually a new gaming keyboard. Made by ThermalTake. It has
>> a USB connector, just like any keyboard aught to. Just about any
>> keyboard with Cherry black switches should have about the same feel, not
>> sure about the physical heft, though.
>>
>> I thought I'd hate the illumination, but it turns out I kind of like it.
>
> Nice - only problem is that with it being a USB device, I can't use it
> with my KVM (PS/2 connectors only - the USB-to-PS2 adapters don't seem to
> work with it).
>
> Jim

Ahh, yeah that could be an issue. I think the Keytronic classic might be
a mechanical keyboard, and comes in both PS/2 and USB variants.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Aug 2014 01:39:43
Message: <53facc1f@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 19:47:08 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

> Ahh, yeah that could be an issue. I think the Keytronic classic might be
> a mechanical keyboard, and comes in both PS/2 and USB variants.

I believe you are correct on that.  Will have to look into it.  They sure
don't make 'em like they used to.  I had an old Northgate Omnikey Ultra
keyboard that I used until it finally gave out and I couldn't get
replacement parts easily for it.

Jim

Am 25.08.2014 07:39, schrieb Jim Henderson:
> On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 19:47:08 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> Ahh, yeah that could be an issue. I think the Keytronic classic might be
>> a mechanical keyboard, and comes in both PS/2 and USB variants.
>
> I believe you are correct on that.  Will have to look into it.  They sure
> don't make 'em like they used to.  I had an old Northgate Omnikey Ultra
> keyboard that I used until it finally gave out and I couldn't get
> replacement parts easily for it.

Best keyboards (if I'm asked) were those that Cherry made themselves.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 19:33:57 +0200, clipka wrote:

> Am 25.08.2014 07:39, schrieb Jim Henderson:
>> On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 19:47:08 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:
>>
>>> Ahh, yeah that could be an issue. I think the Keytronic classic might
>>> be a mechanical keyboard, and comes in both PS/2 and USB variants.
>>
>> I believe you are correct on that.  Will have to look into it.  They
>> sure don't make 'em like they used to.  I had an old Northgate Omnikey
>> Ultra keyboard that I used until it finally gave out and I couldn't get
>> replacement parts easily for it.
>
> Best keyboards (if I'm asked) were those that Cherry made themselves.

Hmm, I might have to look into those - it occurs to me that a bluetooth
keyboard solves my KVM issue as well (sort of).

*foreheadslap*

In fact, I just realized that without even thinking about it, I'm using
an Apple wireless keyboard right now with my PC.  I even spent two days
setting it up (bluetooth on the new machine was acting a little weird -
Dell didn't install the driver on Win 8.1, and the bluetooth was disabled
as a result).

Jim