POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Stunned!!!! (Message 1 to 10 of 124)
From: James Holsenback
Subject: Stunned!!!!
Date: 23 Jul 2014 07:38:00
Message: <53cf9e98$1@news.povray.org>
<rant>
Got this email last week about a position I had applied for back in
early May ... stated "Please contact me ASAP if you're still interested
in this position". Evidently the person that was hired wasn't working
out. Replied ... "Sure I'm still available and I would be glad to meet
with you at your convenience". The next day as I was heading home from
helping brother-in-law clean up two storm fallen trees, I get a call on
my cell asking if I could come in right away for an interview. I
indicated that I'd needed to get home first and get cleaned up. His
response ... "We're very informal here so come on ahead". I thought how
odd, but I was there within a half hour ... wait it get's stranger.
Before I'd even finished introductions (hand shaking etc) he told me
that he wasn't even going to bother with technical aspects of interview.
He added that he was ex US Navy and had gone through the same
electronics training that I had and that my credentials weren't going to
be an issue. We swapped Navy stories for about 45 minutes, then started
a tour of shop area ... then on the way back to the office he turned to
me and ask what my religious beliefs were!!!! I thoughtfully offered
that I hadn't been to church since I was a young man, however I did take
a theology course in college to fulfill my humanities requirement.
Things proceeded normally and as we parted he indicated that he needed
some time to "pray on it" and that he would get back to me shortly. Two
days after interview I sent follow up email thanking him for his time. A
week after interview sent another email asking if there had been any
movement on his opportunity, and got a reply indicating that he was
swamped with quotes to new clients, and that he would get back to me by
the end of the week ... this past Friday. Monday afternoon sent another
email that went unanswered ... I think the handwriting is on the wall,
that I won't be made an offer. Now you wonder that given what I've
written so far, why would I want to work for such a person/company ...
well I desperately need a job. Finally I'd like to add that it's my
understanding that asking about my religious beliefs (among other
things) is a no-no here in the US (don't know or care about elsewhere)
and that if I wanted to be a prick about it I could make trouble. Fat
chance of it going anywhere if I did stir it up, as it was just us two
and it would eventually boil down to my word against his. Sad state of
affairs ... don't you think?
</rant>

Post a reply to this message

> Got this email last week about a position I had applied for back in
> early May ... stated "Please contact me ASAP if you're still interested
> in this position". Evidently the person that was hired wasn't working
> out. Replied ... "Sure I'm still available and I would be glad to meet
> with you at your convenience". The next day as I was heading home from
> helping brother-in-law clean up two storm fallen trees, I get a call on
> my cell asking if I could come in right away for an interview. I
> indicated that I'd needed to get home first and get cleaned up. His
> response ... "We're very informal here so come on ahead". I thought how
> odd, but I was there within a half hour ... wait it get's stranger.
> Before I'd even finished introductions (hand shaking etc) he told me
> that he wasn't even going to bother with technical aspects of interview.
> He added that he was ex US Navy and had gone through the same
> electronics training that I had and that my credentials weren't going to
> be an issue. We swapped Navy stories for about 45 minutes, then started
> a tour of shop area ... then on the way back to the office he turned to
> me and ask what my religious beliefs were!!!! I thoughtfully offered
> that I hadn't been to church since I was a young man, however I did take
> a theology course in college to fulfill my humanities requirement.
> Things proceeded normally and as we parted he indicated that he needed
> some time to "pray on it" and that he would get back to me shortly. Two
> days after interview I sent follow up email thanking him for his time. A
> week after interview sent another email asking if there had been any
> movement on his opportunity, and got a reply indicating that he was
> swamped with quotes to new clients, and that he would get back to me by
> the end of the week ... this past Friday. Monday afternoon sent another
> email that went unanswered ... I think the handwriting is on the wall,
> that I won't be made an offer. Now you wonder that given what I've
> written so far, why would I want to work for such a person/company ...
> well I desperately need a job. Finally I'd like to add that it's my
> understanding that asking about my religious beliefs (among other
> things) is a no-no here in the US (don't know or care about elsewhere)
> and that if I wanted to be a prick about it I could make trouble. Fat
> chance of it going anywhere if I did stir it up, as it was just us two
> and it would eventually boil down to my word against his. Sad state of
> affairs ... don't you think?
> </rant>

If you did raise a stink about it, and the company was forced to hire
you, you'd know that this person would probably never fully trust you
and it would make the workplace atmosphere very heavy.

On 07/23/2014 09:09 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> <rant>
>> Got this email last week about a position I had applied for back in
>> early May ... stated "Please contact me ASAP if you're still interested
>> in this position". Evidently the person that was hired wasn't working
>> out. Replied ... "Sure I'm still available and I would be glad to meet
>> with you at your convenience". The next day as I was heading home from
>> helping brother-in-law clean up two storm fallen trees, I get a call on
>> my cell asking if I could come in right away for an interview. I
>> indicated that I'd needed to get home first and get cleaned up. His
>> response ... "We're very informal here so come on ahead". I thought how
>> odd, but I was there within a half hour ... wait it get's stranger.
>> Before I'd even finished introductions (hand shaking etc) he told me
>> that he wasn't even going to bother with technical aspects of interview.
>> He added that he was ex US Navy and had gone through the same
>> electronics training that I had and that my credentials weren't going to
>> be an issue. We swapped Navy stories for about 45 minutes, then started
>> a tour of shop area ... then on the way back to the office he turned to
>> me and ask what my religious beliefs were!!!! I thoughtfully offered
>> that I hadn't been to church since I was a young man, however I did take
>> a theology course in college to fulfill my humanities requirement.
>> Things proceeded normally and as we parted he indicated that he needed
>> some time to "pray on it" and that he would get back to me shortly. Two
>> days after interview I sent follow up email thanking him for his time. A
>> week after interview sent another email asking if there had been any
>> movement on his opportunity, and got a reply indicating that he was
>> swamped with quotes to new clients, and that he would get back to me by
>> the end of the week ... this past Friday. Monday afternoon sent another
>> email that went unanswered ... I think the handwriting is on the wall,
>> that I won't be made an offer. Now you wonder that given what I've
>> written so far, why would I want to work for such a person/company ...
>> well I desperately need a job. Finally I'd like to add that it's my
>> understanding that asking about my religious beliefs (among other
>> things) is a no-no here in the US (don't know or care about elsewhere)
>> and that if I wanted to be a prick about it I could make trouble. Fat
>> chance of it going anywhere if I did stir it up, as it was just us two
>> and it would eventually boil down to my word against his. Sad state of
>> affairs ... don't you think?
>> </rant>
>
> If you did raise a stink about it, and the company was forced to hire
> you, you'd know that this person would probably never fully trust you
> and it would make the workplace atmosphere very heavy.

no kidding ... i guess my task now is to burn off a few calories in a
more productive manner (wax on wax off)

Post a reply to this message