POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wireless connection issue Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Wireless connection issue (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Wireless connection issue
Date: 23 Jun 2014 06:55:40
Message: <53a807ac$1@news.povray.org>
>> I assumed Thomas had other devices working ok with the modem via
>> wireless, but maybe that was an incorrect assumption (I'm used to having
>> half a dozen devices on wireless) - good call.
>
> I only have one device indeed.

Ah ok - well if all you did was reset the router and it stopped working,
then it seems likely there is nothing wrong with your PC at all, and the
problem is with the router.

You could try logging in to your router (with a cable) and turning off
all wifi encryption just to see if the PC can connect at all (of course
turn it back on straight after). While you're in there also have a look
through to make sure there's nothing else preventing the connection.

I don't know if windows remembers the access point by name or not, but
you could try changing the SSID of the router to see if that makes
windows "forget" the old connection and make a new one.

Post a reply to this message

> Ah ok - well if all you did was reset the router and it stopped working,
> then it seems likely there is nothing wrong with your PC at all, and the
> problem is with the router.

I seem to remember to have deleted also some wireless networks that
seemed redundant to me and probably generated in the past... Just kept
the most 'familiar' one. Can I delete that too, and try to make a brand
new network? because all changes to the network now just change the
existing network without connecting.

> You could try logging in to your router (with a cable) and turning off
> all wifi encryption just to see if the PC can connect at all (of course
> turn it back on straight after). While you're in there also have a look
> through to make sure there's nothing else preventing the connection.

I do not seem to be able to turn off all encryption. It is either TKIP
or AES or both. However, disabling the Authentication Type (from
WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK normally) did not either make a connection possible.

> I don't know if windows remembers the access point by name or not, but
> you could try changing the SSID of the router to see if that makes
> windows "forget" the old connection and make a new one.

No, this does not make any difference.

Running the Maintenance Diagnostics of the modem/router, I get two
failures: one at "Testing ATM OAM segment ping" and the other at
"Testing ATM OAM end to end ping".

At the ATM VC section I see nothing strange, and equal to when
everything worked:
Virtual Circuit: PVC0
VPI: 8
VCI: 48
ATM QoS: UBR
PCR: 0

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> I seem to remember to have deleted also some wireless networks that
> seemed redundant to me and probably generated in the past... Just kept
> the most 'familiar' one. Can I delete that too, and try to make a brand
> new network? because all changes to the network now just change the
> existing network without connecting.

There's no harm in deleting all the stored wireless networks, the worst
that will happen is that you need to re-enter the encryption key.

> I do not seem to be able to turn off all encryption. It is either TKIP
> or AES or both. However, disabling the Authentication Type (from
> WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK normally) did not either make a connection possible.

That's strange - it would really help to get another device (even just a
smartphone) to try and connect to the router via wifi. That would tell
you if the problem was with the router or the PC.