POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Revolving Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:29:47 EDT (-0400)
  Revolving (Message 87 to 96 of 96)
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Revolving
Date: 10 May 2014 06:59:44
Message: <536e06a0$1@news.povray.org>
Le 10/05/2014 11:52, Stephen nous fit lire :
>> Have you seen how people drive? Do you REALLY want that in 3D?;)
>
> I certainly don't. Too many idiots on the roads if they took to the
> skies I would take to my bed. Even then you never know who might drop in
> for tea. ;-)
>
> I have been reading a lot of ancient SF recently. The thing that almost
> everyone got wrong is mobile phones. It is jarring when the hero has to
> stop by a drug store just to phone someone.

Have a look at the Shadowrun RPG (as book for ambiance)... targeted
advertisement as you pass by every shop is coming to your mobile phone.
And it is going to be as hostile as it sound. Next, augmented reality to
hit your glass and audio device... still for aggressive advertisements.

Along the revision/Edition, the matrix changed a bit (connection was
more difficult in first edition, wifi is everywhere in latests).

On another hand, triple-A security blocks are emerging too. Some started
with "elderly-only" town (forbidden to less than ~60 years old alone),
but private blocks are not so far.

Arcology are not yet, unless you look at Millenium tower (tokyo,
project), or Dubai... yep, they are coming. Not sure it will not split
population too.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 10 May 2014 15:51:51
Message: <536e8357$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/05/2014 11:59, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> >I have been reading a lot of ancient SF recently. The thing that almost
>> >everyone got wrong is mobile phones. It is jarring when the hero has to
>> >stop by a drug store just to phone someone.
>> >
> Have a look at the Shadowrun RPG (as book for ambiance)... targeted
> advertisement as you pass by every shop is coming to your mobile phone.
> And it is going to be as hostile as it sound. Next, augmented reality to
> hit your glass and audio device... still for aggressive advertisements.

Now that is familiar from more more modern fiction. (Currently reading
Sinister Barrier (Sinister Barrier 1939, by Eric Frank Russell.)
I am not really into games (I'm pretty poor at playing them.) although I
have been playing the Beta of Elite Dangerous. It is just a shoot them
up in your flying saucer ATM. But it has encouraged be to start Pov-ing
after about a year off.

> Along the revision/Edition, the matrix changed a bit (connection was
> more difficult in first edition, wifi is everywhere in latests).

"as above, so below" or art imitates life.

> On another hand, triple-A security blocks are emerging too. Some started
> with "elderly-only" town (forbidden to less than ~60 years old alone),
> but private blocks are not so far.

Sounds fine to me. ;-)

> Arcology are not yet, unless you look at Millenium tower (tokyo,
> project), or Dubai... yep, they are coming. Not sure it will not split population
too.

I suppose so (Make room! Make room! by Harry Harrison.)

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 10 May 2014 18:35:18
Message: <536ea9a6$1@news.povray.org>
On 2014-05-10 14:51, Stephen wrote:
> I am not really into games (I'm pretty poor at playing them.) although I
> have been playing the Beta of Elite Dangerous. It is just a shoot them
> up in your flying saucer ATM.

Lucky duck.  I'm having to wait for final release.  Looking forward to
it, though.

--
T. Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 10 May 2014 20:15:23
Message: <536ec11b$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 10 May 2014 10:52:42 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>> Have you seen how people drive? Do you REALLY want that in 3D?;)
>
> I certainly don't. Too many idiots on the roads if they took to the
> skies I would take to my bed. Even then you never know who might drop in
> for tea. ;-)

:)

> I have been reading a lot of ancient SF recently. The thing that almost
> everyone got wrong is mobile phones. It is jarring when the hero has to
> stop by a drug store just to phone someone.

Yeah, that really is something that is a sign of the times (as it were).

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 11 May 2014 06:03:23
Message: <536f4aeb$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/05/2014 23:35, Tim Cook wrote:
> On 2014-05-10 14:51, Stephen wrote:
>> I am not really into games (I'm pretty poor at playing them.) although I
>> have been playing the Beta of Elite Dangerous. It is just a shoot them
>> up in your flying saucer ATM.
>
> Lucky duck.  I'm having to wait for final release.  Looking forward to
> it, though.

I was feeling altruistic at the time. :-)

You are not missing much ATM. It is just shooting at things and them
shooting back, so far. I'm having to learn how to fly so it is slow.

From: Stephen
Date: 11 May 2014 06:09:02
Message: <536f4c3e$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/05/2014 01:15, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I have been reading a lot of ancient SF recently. The thing that almost
>> >everyone got wrong is mobile phones. It is jarring when the hero has to
>> >stop by a drug store just to phone someone.
> Yeah, that really is something that is a sign of the times (as it were).

I find it strange that whilst the authors could imaging all sorts of
marvellous futures. Excepting Dick Tracy's walkie talkie wristwatch it
seemed to be unimaginable.

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 11 May 2014 10:23:04
Message: <536f87c8$1@news.povray.org>
On 11-5-2014 12:09, Stephen wrote:
> I find it strange that whilst the authors could imaging all sorts of
> marvellous futures. Excepting Dick Tracy's walkie talkie wristwatch it
> seemed to be unimaginable.

Albert Robida (http://www.robida.info/index.html) anticipated at least
flying cars, and... Skype ;-)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 11 May 2014 10:48:16
Message: <536f8db0$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/05/2014 15:23, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 11-5-2014 12:09, Stephen wrote:
>> I find it strange that whilst the authors could imaging all sorts of
>> marvellous futures. Excepting Dick Tracy's walkie talkie wristwatch it
>> seemed to be unimaginable.
>>
> Albert Robida (http://www.robida.info/index.html) anticipated at least
> flying cars, and... Skype ;-)

OMG! The music. :-(

But how interesting. :-)
(The man and his works.)
Of course this is probably the "exception that proves the rule". Unless
English speakers just don't have the imagination. ^_^

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 May 2014 14:22:27
Message: <536fbfe3$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 11 May 2014 15:48:18 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 11/05/2014 15:23, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 11-5-2014 12:09, Stephen wrote:
>>> I find it strange that whilst the authors could imaging all sorts of
>>> marvellous futures. Excepting Dick Tracy's walkie talkie wristwatch it
>>> seemed to be unimaginable.
>>>
>> Albert Robida (http://www.robida.info/index.html) anticipated at least
>> flying cars, and... Skype ;-)
>>

> OMG! The music. :-(
>
> But how interesting. :-)
> (The man and his works.)
> Of course this is probably the "exception that proves the rule". Unless
> English speakers just don't have the imagination. ^_^

LOL

From: Stephen
Date: 23 May 2014 16:25:12
Message: <537faea8$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/05/2014 23:35, Tim Cook wrote:
> On 2014-05-10 14:51, Stephen wrote:
>> I am not really into games (I'm pretty poor at playing them.) although I
>> have been playing the Beta of Elite Dangerous. It is just a shoot them
>> up in your flying saucer ATM.
>
> Lucky duck.  I'm having to wait for final release.  Looking forward to
> it, though.

Here is a preview from the latest news letter.
Not being a gamer I have nothing to compare it with but I am quite
impressed with the graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGf9OPot8Sc

--

Regards