POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A Curmudgeon's Response Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:34:26 EDT (-0400)
  A Curmudgeon's Response (Message 1 to 10 of 38)
From: James Holsenback
Subject: A Curmudgeon's Response
Date: 19 Feb 2014 15:22:48
Message: <53051298$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26258971

OK cool tech at work here ... lot's of engineering reasons why this is a
great idea, but for some reason I don't like it one bit!

It seems that some of the early sci-fi writers got it right ... we're
headed of world that actually seeing something first hand is going the
way of the dodo. Instead we'll get some sensors view. Sure there are
/plenty/ of other examples, but this one just caught my eye.

Post a reply to this message

James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26258971
>
> OK cool tech at work here ... lot's of engineering reasons why this is a
> great idea, but for some reason I don't like it one bit!
>
> It seems that some of the early sci-fi writers got it right ... we're
> headed of world that actually seeing something first hand is going the
> way of the dodo. Instead we'll get some sensors view. Sure there are
> /plenty/ of other examples, but this one just caught my eye.

in this case makes perfect sense:  you can display beautifully symetric sunset
scenery while the airplane is spiraling down out of control :)

Post a reply to this message

> James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26258971
>>
>> OK cool tech at work here ... lot's of engineering reasons why this is a
>> great idea, but for some reason I don't like it one bit!
>>
>> It seems that some of the early sci-fi writers got it right ... we're
>> headed of world that actually seeing something first hand is going the
>> way of the dodo. Instead we'll get some sensors view. Sure there are
>> /plenty/ of other examples, but this one just caught my eye.
>
> in this case makes perfect sense:  you can display beautifully symetric sunset
> scenery while the airplane is spiraling down out of control :)

exactly ... just another pablum (for the masses) delivery system

Post a reply to this message

> in this case makes perfect sense:  you can display beautifully symetric sunset
> scenery while the airplane is spiraling down out of control :)

I'm reminded of that scene from the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
where they play the calm, soothing music just before the console explodes...

Post a reply to this message

> James Holsenback <nom### [at] nonecom> wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26258971
>>
>> OK cool tech at work here ... lot's of engineering reasons why this is a
>> great idea, but for some reason I don't like it one bit!
>>
>> It seems that some of the early sci-fi writers got it right ... we're
>> headed of world that actually seeing something first hand is going the
>> way of the dodo. Instead we'll get some sensors view. Sure there are
>> /plenty/ of other examples, but this one just caught my eye.
>
> in this case makes perfect sense:  you can display beautifully symetric sunset
> scenery while the airplane is spiraling down out of control :)

Or you play the footage of the best ever recorded flight form ethiopia
to rome, so nobody notices they ended up in geneva.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 20 Feb 2014 04:41:10
Message: <5305cdb6$1@news.povray.org>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26258971
>
> OK cool tech at work here ... lot's of engineering reasons why this is a
> great idea, but for some reason I don't like it one bit!

I wonder how they will make the screens look high quality when sat next
to them, without requiring gigapixels of camera data and TB/s of data.

> It seems that some of the early sci-fi writers got it right ... we're
> headed of world that actually seeing something first hand is going the
> way of the dodo. Instead we'll get some sensors view. Sure there are
> /plenty/ of other examples, but this one just caught my eye.

They recently got that monkey to control the limbs of another sedated
monkey remotely, next you could connect the output of an eye in one
person to the optic nerve of another, then after that there's nothing to
stop a computer or camera being used to inject signals directly onto the
optic nerve - no need for a screen ever again!

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Date: 20 Feb 2014 04:59:23
Message: <5305d1fb$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/20/2014 04:41 AM, scott wrote:
> They recently got that monkey to control the limbs of another sedated
> monkey remotely, next you could connect the output of an eye in one
> person to the optic nerve of another, then after that there's nothing to
> stop a computer or camera being used to inject signals directly onto the
> optic nerve - no need for a screen ever again!

resistance is futile

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 20 Feb 2014 12:07:46
Message: <5306363B.50000@gmail.com>
On 20-2-2014 10:41, scott wrote:
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26258971
>>
>> OK cool tech at work here ... lot's of engineering reasons why this is a
>> great idea, but for some reason I don't like it one bit!
>
> I wonder how they will make the screens look high quality when sat next
> to them, without requiring gigapixels of camera data and TB/s of data.
>
>> It seems that some of the early sci-fi writers got it right ... we're
>> headed of world that actually seeing something first hand is going the
>> way of the dodo. Instead we'll get some sensors view. Sure there are
>> /plenty/ of other examples, but this one just caught my eye.
>
> They recently got that monkey to control the limbs of another sedated
> monkey remotely, next you could connect the output of an eye in one
> person to the optic nerve of another, then after that there's nothing to
> stop a computer or camera being used to inject signals directly onto the
> optic nerve - no need for a screen ever again!

What makes you think they have not already done that?

From: Doctor John
Date: 20 Feb 2014 12:54:09
Message: <53064141$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/02/14 17:07, andrel wrote:

> What makes you think they have not already done that?

We are all in the Matrix

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: James Holsenback
Date: 20 Feb 2014 16:25:48
Message: <530672dc@news.povray.org>
On 02/20/2014 12:53 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> On 20/02/14 17:07, andrel wrote:
>>
>> What makes you think they have not already done that?
>>

> We are all in the Matrix

or maybe ... we're a virus in someones petri dish