POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coffee cup holder Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:21:32 EDT (-0400)
  Coffee cup holder (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: clipka
Subject: Coffee cup holder
Date: 21 Jan 2014 09:29:18
Message: <52de843e$1@news.povray.org>
I guess you all know the story of the computer hotline call about the
broken coffee cup holder, which turned out to be the CD-ROM tray. A
nicely invented anecdote...

... except, it isn't.

And it wasn't a CD-ROM tray, but a good old tape tray.

And guess what - I've just spoken in person to the woman who not only
received the support call, but also had to travel through half of
Germany to deal with the fallout of the incident.

(Then again, it must be assumed that there have been multiple such
genuine original incidents. One person alone cannot be /that/ stupid.)

Post a reply to this message

> I guess you all know the story of the computer hotline call about the
> broken coffee cup holder, which turned out to be the CD-ROM tray. A
> nicely invented anecdote...
>
> ... except, it isn't.
>
> And it wasn't a CD-ROM tray, but a good old tape tray.

Photo!

I have heard of people using acoustic couplers to hold their tea cups. In the
days when there were few dedicated digital lines. You lifted a panel on a
teletype and put a phone handset onto a mouthpiece and earpiece. To get comms.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> (Then again, it must be assumed that there have been multiple such
> genuine original incidents. One person alone cannot be /that/ stupid.)

I'm relatively sure that humanity has enough collective stupidity that
the chances of there /only/ being one such case is fairly remote. But
hey ... there's always a chance that it's just an urban legend. Hmmmm
... propagation of urban legends. Well that's another topic.

Post a reply to this message

>> I guess you all know the story of the computer hotline call about the
>> broken coffee cup holder, which turned out to be the CD-ROM tray. A
>> nicely invented anecdote...
>>
>> ... except, it isn't.
>>
>> And it wasn't a CD-ROM tray, but a good old tape tray.
>>

> Photo!

A tray for a magnetic tape cassette it was, so not /that/ good old ;-)