POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Assessment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:02 EDT (-0400)
  Assessment (Message 1 to 10 of 64)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Assessment
Date: 11 Nov 2013 16:58:09
Message: <528152f1$1@news.povray.org>
I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this...

As some of you may know, I worked for my last employer for ten years,
and managed to miss the "annual" staff appraisal every single year.
Which is just fine with me! (And in ten years, nobody actually *noticed*
this...)

Think about it - what would my appraisal have looked like?

   What is your job?
     I'm supposed to keep the computers running.

   What did you achieve last year?
     I successfully kept the computers running.

   What are your goals for this year?
     I hope to keep the computers running.

At this point, I have to wonder - why am I filling this form out again?
What "goals" or "achievements" can I invent to put in these boxes? How
can I pretend these are related to the company mission?

My new employer - heh, "new". I've been there over a year! Oh yes, which
is why I apparently need to fill out an appraisal form. Any ideas for
creative ways to say "last year I wrote code, this year I will write
code"? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:58:21 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this...
>
> As some of you may know, I worked for my last employer for ten years,
> and managed to miss the "annual" staff appraisal every single year.
> Which is just fine with me! (And in ten years, nobody actually *noticed*
> this...)
>
> Think about it - what would my appraisal have looked like?
>
>    What is your job?
>      I'm supposed to keep the computers running.
>
>    What did you achieve last year?
>      I successfully kept the computers running.
>
>    What are your goals for this year?
>      I hope to keep the computers running.

I used to do reviews like this all the time when I worked in IT.  There's
much more involved than that - but this explains why you had trouble
writing your CV - performance reviews and objectives/goals documentation
is really helpful for maintaining a CV.

> At this point, I have to wonder - why am I filling this form out again?
> What "goals" or "achievements" can I invent to put in these boxes? How
> can I pretend these are related to the company mission?

In IT, pretty much everything you do relates to the company mission.  IT
enables companies to achieve their mission in an efficient manner
(ideally).  So every system you manage, implement, update, or fix
directly affects the bottom line.

> My new employer - heh, "new". I've been there over a year! Oh yes, which
> is why I apparently need to fill out an appraisal form. Any ideas for
> creative ways to say "last year I wrote code, this year I will write
> code"? ;-)

Write more than "I wrote code."  Write about what the code does, what
it's used for, and what it's a part of.  For goals, look forward at what
the company's doing, where it's headed, and how the code you've already
written is helping them meet their goals, and then extrapolate how your
existing code might evolve - things you want to implement that you didn't
get to, that sort of thing.  Goals and objectives are set in concert with
your manager, so if you have a goal, objective, or desire that doesn't
fit, your manager should help you align your goals to the organizational
goals.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> Think about it - what would my appraisal have looked like?
>
>    What is your job?
>      I'm supposed to keep the computers running.
>
>    What did you achieve last year?
>      I successfully kept the computers running.
>
>    What are your goals for this year?
>      I hope to keep the computers running.
>
> At this point, I have to wonder - why am I filling this form out again?
> What "goals" or "achievements" can I invent to put in these boxes? How
> can I pretend these are related to the company mission?

As you were the entire IT department in your last job, then I would
expect your objectives and goals would be more like department goals.
Things like "% of staff requests answered within 4 hours", or "% of
uptime for critical servers and infrastructure" or "implement a new
system to increase storage and backup capacity" whatever is actually
important for your employer. You can then set targets and measure your
performance against them.

> My new employer - heh, "new". I've been there over a year! Oh yes, which
> is why I apparently need to fill out an appraisal form. Any ideas for
> creative ways to say "last year I wrote code, this year I will write
> code"? ;-)

Don't you have certain projects you are meant to work on? Your goals
should be based on things like "complete project X by date Y" or "become
the company expert for Z" or personal development type stuff "chair a
customer review" or "mentor new staff" etc. Did you ever hear of SMART
objectives? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_criteria

Post a reply to this message