POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Going dark Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:47 EDT (-0400)
  Going dark (Message 31 to 40 of 45)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Going dark
Date: 20 Oct 2013 18:26:25
Message: <52645891@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:45:34 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> But when you go to sleep, you have blankets and sheets, too.  A cooler
>> temperature is usually a good thing.
>
> I find if it's below 20°C or so, I have a still neck the next day.

Interesting, I've not heard of that. :)

>>> Hehe, you Americans and your obsolete measurement systems...
>>
>> It's what we're used to.  You use miles rather than kilometers, so
>> you're only partially on a sensible system.  We inherited our system
>> from you. ;)
>
> Yeah, well, we're working on it. ;-)

I guess we're just letting you be the guinea pigs. ;)

> Yeah, from what I hear, having a machine with both functions just means
> it does each of them less well than a dedicated device. But hey, it took
> a while to clean it, but it now seems to wash my clothes quite well.
> (Initially they came out dirtier than they went in!)

How long was the flat vacant before you moved in?

>> The counterexample to your CPU example is the Mona Lisa, or a
>> Stradavarius violin.  Obviously those items are things that the value
>> has not gone down for over the years.
>
> Thing is, they don't constantly produce new Mona Lisas - in fact, there
> is only one in the entire world. Houses, on the other hand, are
> constantly being built. (Though, again, location counts for something.)

Well, not new Mona Lisas, but certainly new art is being created every
day.

>>> Since this grid-square is half under water, there are no local shops.
>>
>> Some people prefer having the shops farther away, too - because it
>> means you don't have non-local traffic in the neighborhood (which can
>> affect crime).
>
> In MK, what they generally do is that each residential grid square has
> its own bunch of shops. So everybody just goes to their own local shops.
> (And then there are the retail grid squares, which have larger shops
> that people travel to. But nobody lives there.) It's actually quite an
> efficient system - which is why the county council is dedicated to
> getting rid of it ASAP.

Well, with the population, I don't know that you could say definitively
that "everyone" does this, but certainly people would tend to go locally.

>>> It's a block of flats. You can't really do much to it.
>>
>> Well, yeah, flats are different than a house.
>
> Well hey, like I said, I hopefully won't be selling it for a very long
> time. I haven't finished moving in yet!

:)

Jim

Post a reply to this message