POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Going dark : Re: Going dark Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Going dark
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 21 Oct 2013 14:48:38
Message: <52657706$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/10/2013 10:03 AM, scott wrote:
>> Basically each wall is a sheet of plasterboard. So, looks pretty, but no
>> sound damping, and you can't make any holes in it. (It'll just snap in
>> half.)
>
> In newer houses (<20yrs) all walls are plasterboard (spaced out from the
> bricks if it's a supporting wall), so you'll have to get used to it and
> learn how to fix stuff to them. It's not like nobody in modern houses
> fixes stuff to walls.

I assumed it was only *cheap* houses where they do this. (Then again,
it's not like I'm a housing expert...)

> You can use these:
>
> http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/fixingtoplasterboard/1923_l.jpg

Yeah, we tried that. Trouble is, you don't know where the wooden battens
are hiding...

> You'd be surprised how much weight they can support. 4 or 6 of them will
> hold a big TV *easily*. I use them for everything, shelves, mirrors,
> desks, pictures, bookcases etc - never had anything fall down.

Like I say, the weight of a mere toilet roll holder was enough to break
one fixing... Not holding out much hope for anything heavier than a
picture frame not breaking the wall beyond repair.