POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Where is the world going? (Message 1 to 10 of 199)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Where is the world going?
Date: 24 Aug 2013 05:04:57
Message: <52187739@news.povray.org>
OK, well maybe not the world, just software. (You know, that stuff I
spend my whole day thinking about.)

First, GNOME 3. As far as I can tell, this is designed for a netbook,
not a real PC. There's no task bar, all the buttons are huge, everything
starts fullscreen, and you have to go into a stupid little menu to start
any programs or to switch windows. They removed all the window buttons
except "close"... Basically, this thing is designed for something with a
touchscreen and a tiny display.

(The irony is that if you go to the GNOME addons page, 98% of all addons
are things to make GNOME 3 work like how GNOME 2 used to work. Add back
the taskbar, put minimise and maximise buttons back, add a program
launcher bar, etc. To some extent ANY time a program changes people want
it to work the way it did before. But I think the sheer volume of
identical addons to do the same three tasks is significant...)

I particularly like how the entire GNOME 3 desktop is written in CSS and
JavaScript, and you write "addons" by monkey-patching the live
JavaScript (which is entirely undocumented; you just have to *guess*
what things you need to change - or read the 20,000 lines of code that
it comprises). I especially like the way the addon is responsible for
manually reverting all its changes when the user selects "disable addon".

And by "like", I of course mean "hate".

Then we come to Windows 8. This product is *clearly* designed to be run
on a phone. This is not a desktop operating system for technically
skilled users to operate their computer with. This is a toy OS for a
touchscreen device with a tiny display. Consequently, the graphics look
HORRID, with garish flat rectangles of colour (they didn't even bother
to round the corners off), capital letters only, and a maximum of three
items on screen at once. It's like I'm back in the 1980s all over again.

Even the latest version of Visual Studio copies this unspeakably ugly
style, with all the menu names in capital letters. The entire UI is
devoid of colour, all of it being a monochrome grey. It's like somebody
sucked the life out of it. No doubt the next iteration of Office will
have the some awful paint job.

A lot of people said Vista was awful. I can hardly believe I'm saying
this, but... I actually don't have a problem with it. It seems fine.
Sure, it's got a whole bunch of stuff I don't want, but MS products
always do. Windows 7 seems identical to Vista, apart from a few tiny
cosmetic differences. The minimum specs are a bit high, but then the
primary way MS make their money is by forcing people to buy new

not like it can't handle it.

Whenever anybody asks me "should I get Windows 7 or Windows 8?", the
answer is pretty clear. Get Windows 7 if you want to use a PC. Get
Windows 8 if you're too stupid to operate anything more complicated than
a washing machine.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a simplified UI existing. If
there's a product specifically for people who just want to surf the
Internet and send a few emails, then that's great! What I object to is
*me* being forced to use that same product. In my opinion, there should
be a separate product for people who *are* technically skilled - and
let's face it, it's not like such people are a minority...

But hey, MS makes a metric tonne of money per hour, why would they even
care what I think?

Post a reply to this message

> Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a simplified UI existing. If
> there's a product specifically for people who just want to surf the
> Internet and send a few emails, then that's great! What I object to is
> *me* being forced to use that same product.

You do realise if you get the "desktop" version of Win8 you get the
standard Win7-like desktop too? It's only the "RT" version for low
powered mobile devices that consists solely of the new GUI.

Post a reply to this message

> OK, well maybe not the world, just software. (You know, that stuff I
> spend my whole day thinking about.)
>
> Whenever anybody asks me "should I get Windows 7 or Windows 8?", the
> answer is pretty clear. Get Windows 7 if you want to use a PC. Get
> Windows 8 if you're too stupid to operate anything more complicated than
> a washing machine.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a simplified UI existing. If
> there's a product specifically for people who just want to surf the
> Internet and send a few emails, then that's great! What I object to is
> *me* being forced to use that same product. In my opinion, there should
> be a separate product for people who *are* technically skilled - and
> let's face it, it's not like such people are a minority...
>
> But hey, MS makes a metric tonne of money per hour, why would they even
> care what I think?

I remember win95, a good user interface with DOS - where is DOS now? I have Win7
and I hate it because I can't use my own old programs. But (or install Linux)
there is no way to avoid MS empire. And as you say, MS take all the power of the
PC and consider the user like a child - no big responsabilities for the user, it
is dangerous to modified all that stuff.
Where is (except Linux) the possibility to make your machine, like you want. MS
format the users. It's a fact.

Post a reply to this message

"Fractracer" <lg.### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> I remember win95, a good user interface with DOS - where is DOS now?

Hidden in the command prompt box: cmd.exe

Post a reply to this message

>> Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a simplified UI existing. If
>> there's a product specifically for people who just want to surf the
>> Internet and send a few emails, then that's great! What I object to is
>> *me* being forced to use that same product.
>
> You do realise if you get the "desktop" version of Win8 you get the
> standard Win7-like desktop too? It's only the "RT" version for low
> powered mobile devices that consists solely of the new GUI.

Until 8.1 comes along and restores the "Start" button, you still have to
switch to the Lego-block screen to start new apps, unless you have a
shortcut on your desktop, which encourages clutter and everyone knows
that Windows boot time (and refreshes when you quit a full screen app,
such as a game) is proportional to the number of icons on your desktop.

From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2013 09:45:45
Message: <521cad89$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.08.2013 12:31, schrieb Stephen:
> "Fractracer" <lg.### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>

>> I remember win95, a good user interface with DOS - where is DOS now?
>
> Hidden in the command prompt box: cmd.exe

At least some editions of Windows also provide a shortcut in the start
menu, in the "accessories" submenu, called "command prompt" (IIRC).

Of course you can create your own shortcut and put it anywhere you like
(desktop, quick launch bar, or the start menu someplace else).

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 27 Aug 2013 09:55:58
Message: <521cafee$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.08.2013 15:45, schrieb Francois Labreque:

>>> Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a simplified UI existing. If
>>> there's a product specifically for people who just want to surf the
>>> Internet and send a few emails, then that's great! What I object to is
>>> *me* being forced to use that same product.
>>
>> You do realise if you get the "desktop" version of Win8 you get the
>> standard Win7-like desktop too? It's only the "RT" version for low
>> powered mobile devices that consists solely of the new GUI.
>>
> Until 8.1 comes along and restores the "Start" button, you still have to
> switch to the Lego-block screen to start new apps, unless you have a
> shortcut on your desktop, which encourages clutter and everyone knows
> that Windows boot time (and refreshes when you quit a full screen app,
> such as a game) is proportional to the number of icons on your desktop.

How about the task manager? You can start a task from there as well
(fortunately, because otherwise you'd need to restart the computer if
explorer.exe crashed on you).

Not saying that it's any more comfortable than switching to the "Modern
UI" thing though.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 27 Aug 2013 10:39:05
Message: <521cba09$1@news.povray.org>
> Until 8.1 comes along and restores the "Start" button, you still have to
> switch to the Lego-block screen to start new apps, unless you have a
> shortcut on your desktop,

Or pin it to the taskbar (which gives other benefits over a desktop
shortcut), I don't remember the last time I looked through the Start
menu to run a program, usually its sole use is to shut down the machine :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 27 Aug 2013 11:11:31
Message: <521cc1a3@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> > I remember win95, a good user interface with DOS - where is DOS now?

> Hidden in the command prompt box: cmd.exe

cmd.exe is a program, not DOS...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 27 Aug 2013 12:53:01
Message: <521cd96d$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/08/2013 2:45 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> and everyone knows that Windows boot time (and refreshes when you quit a
> full screen app, such as a game) is proportional to the number of icons
> on your desktop.

Not everyone knows. But I do *now*. Thanks for that.

--
Regards
     Stephen