POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Exam results Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:33:52 EDT (-0400)
  Exam results (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Exam results
Date: 27 Aug 2013 05:03:27
Message: <521c6b5f$1@news.povray.org>
> The 700k population of students perhaps doesn't fluctuate much, but the
> difficulty of the questions surely does. But how to control for that?

Isn't that a perfect reason to have a fixed % of people getting each grade?

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Aug 2013 15:39:52
Message: <521d0088$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:03:26 +0100, scott wrote:

>> The 700k population of students perhaps doesn't fluctuate much, but the
>> difficulty of the questions surely does. But how to control for that?
>
> Isn't that a perfect reason to have a fixed % of people getting each
> grade?

Depends on whether you need an absolute measurement of skill/knowledge or
a relative measurement.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 28 Aug 2013 03:31:51
Message: <521da767$1@news.povray.org>
>>> The 700k population of students perhaps doesn't fluctuate much, but the
>>> difficulty of the questions surely does. But how to control for that?
>>
>> Isn't that a perfect reason to have a fixed % of people getting each
>> grade?
>
> Depends on whether you need an absolute measurement of skill/knowledge or
> a relative measurement.

If the distribution in skill/knowledge of the students is fluctuating
less than the difficulty of the questions, it will give you a more
accurate absolute measure (if the alternative is to give everyone grades
based on the number of questions they get right).

Given there are only a handful of questions in an exam, and hundreds of
thousands of students taking them (and hundreds of thousands of
teachers), I'd say it's way more likely the distribution of question
difficulty varies from year to year than that of the students' skill.

Anyway I'd suggest that the main use of school exam grades is to secure
a place at a college or university, so a relative measure is probably
all that's needed.

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 08:31:49 +0100, scott wrote:

>>> Isn't that a perfect reason to have a fixed % of people getting each
>>> grade?
>>
>> Depends on whether you need an absolute measurement of skill/knowledge
>> or a relative measurement.
>
> If the distribution in skill/knowledge of the students is fluctuating
> less than the difficulty of the questions, it will give you a more
> accurate absolute measure (if the alternative is to give everyone grades
> based on the number of questions they get right).
>
> Given there are only a handful of questions in an exam, and hundreds of
> thousands of students taking them (and hundreds of thousands of
> teachers), I'd say it's way more likely the distribution of question
> difficulty varies from year to year than that of the students' skill.
>
> Anyway I'd suggest that the main use of school exam grades is to secure
> a place at a college or university, so a relative measure is probably
> all that's needed.

Well, maybe.  If you buy into the idea that pre-uni instruction degrading
isn't a problem.  An absolute measure can be used to uphold an absolute
measure, and if the pre-uni schools aren't meeting it, then they need to
up their game, rather than the universities lowering their standards.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Anyway I'd suggest that the main use of school exam grades is to secure
>> a place at a college or university, so a relative measure is probably
>> all that's needed.
>
> Well, maybe.  If you buy into the idea that pre-uni instruction degrading
> isn't a problem.  An absolute measure can be used to uphold an absolute
> measure, and if the pre-uni schools aren't meeting it, then they need to
> up their game, rather than the universities lowering their standards.

Just by the nature of setting questions I think the standard over a
longer period (eg 10 years) would be easier to keep consistent. So you
could still look at the absolute scores averaged over the long term to
analyse the performance. Giving students relative scores will avoid them
being penalised by the year-to-year variations in the difficulty of the
questions.