POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:15 EDT (-0400)
  Is no-cost software irresponsible? (Message 11 to 20 of 230)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
Date: 1 Aug 2013 06:52:25
Message: <51fa3de9@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > Rich countries are dumping free clothing by the ton to poor countries,
> > especially in Africa. Some *African* sociologists are pleading the rich
> > countries to stop that because they are killing the local textile economy
> > with it.

> You'd need to weigh up what was better, having a local textile economy
> with a group of people unable to afford clothes, or no local textile
> economy but everyone gets clothes. I don't know for sure what the answer
> would be, but I suspect it's better that everyone gets free clothes
> (some proportion of the ones who worked in the textile companies would
> find other jobs). It seems the majority of Africans agree otherwise
> there wouldn't be the "problem".

The problem is the overabundance. It's not a question of "either everybody
gets free clothes or nobody does."

Helping the poor who cannot afford clothes is ok. Saturating the market
with free stuff that even the people who could afford it otherwise is not,
because that kills even the little economy that there could be.

The best way to help a nation is not to give it as much free stuff as it
wants. It's to help it get its economy running.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Helping the poor who cannot afford clothes is ok. Saturating the market
> with free stuff that even the people who could afford it otherwise is not,
> because that kills even the little economy that there could be.

But the people who can afford the clothes in the first place will simply
buy other things instead, so some other economy will be increased to
match the decrease in textiles.

> The best way to help a nation is not to give it as much free stuff as it
> wants. It's to help it get its economy running.

Why wouldn't giving them free clothes help the economy? People would
have more to spend on things like education and medicine rather than
being trapped only barely being able to afford clothes and food.

Post a reply to this message

>> Helping the poor who cannot afford clothes is ok. Saturating the market
>> with free stuff that even the people who could afford it otherwise is
>> not,
>> because that kills even the little economy that there could be.

> But the people who can afford the clothes in the first place will simply
> buy other things instead, so some other economy will be increased to match
> the decrease in textiles.

How many of those "other things" can be produced locally with limited means?

>> The best way to help a nation is not to give it as much free stuff as it
>> wants. It's to help it get its economy running.

> Why wouldn't giving them free clothes help the economy? People would have
> more to spend on things like education and medicine rather than being
> trapped only barely being able to afford clothes and food.

People without a market for their labor or goods can't take their "clothing
money" and reallocate it to education or medicine. They have gone from
almost no money to no money at all. Please, think this one through before
making a half-dozen posts.

-Shay

Post a reply to this message

>> But the people who can afford the clothes in the first place will
>> simply buy other things instead, so some other economy will be
>> increased to match the decrease in textiles.
>
> How many of those "other things" can be produced locally with limited
> means?

Builders, teachers, cleaners, doctors, nurses etc all will be more in
demand if people have more money to spend on education and medicine.
Even imported good need an infrastructure to deliver them, so demand for
drivers, packers etc.

> People without a market for their labor or goods can't take their
> "clothing money" and reallocate it to education or medicine.

What else would they do with the money if they didn't need to spend it
on clothes anymore?

> They have
> gone from almost no money to no money at all.

???

Post a reply to this message