POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Math questions (Message 31 to 40 of 90)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Math questions
Date: 16 Jul 2013 04:35:14
Message: <51e505c2@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > Integers are allowed to have infinite digits before the decimal place.
> > Reals are allowed them after the decimal place as well. ;-)

> Genuine question then, why isn't the set of real numbers countable,
> given that you could represent each one with two integers (one for the
> digits before the decimal point, one for the digits after the decimal
> point)?

The set of all strings that contain all possible combinations of two
or more digits (in other words, the set of all possible decimal
representations) is uncountable. In other words, it's not possible to
enumerate them all. This might be a bit surprising (it was to me...)

Cantor's diagonal argument is used to demonstrate this. Note, though,
that said argument only proves that there are sets that are uncountable
(ie. cannot be enumerated with integers), not that the set of reals is
uncountable.

Cantor's diagonal argument is a proof by contradiction. It goes something
like this:

Let's assume that it is possible to enumerate every single possible infinite
string of digits. Thus we have a(n infinite) list of numbered strings (its
order doesn't really matter, as long as it contains *all* of them.) For
example like:

1: 1001101110...
2: 0010110111...
3: 1100011110...
4: 0111001101...

If the assumption is true, that means that this list is complete, ie. it
contains every single possible string using those two digits. Which would
mean that it's impossible to construct a string that does not appear in
that list.

However, we can construct such a string: Take the first digit of the first
string and invert it, the second digit of the second string and invert it,
and so on. In other words, with the example above the string would be
0110... etc.

Said string is different from every single one in that list (because it
necessarily differs from each one by at least one of the digits.) This is
a contradiction because the list was supposed to contain *all* of them.
(It doesn't help if you just "add" this new string to the list. You can
then construct another string that's not in the list.)

Because this is a contradiction, the initial premise is necessarily false:
It's *not* possible to enumerate all of those strings. Therefore the set
of all those strings is genuinely larger than the set of integers.

(But as said, AFAIK this only proves that the set of all possible strings
of two digits is larger than the set of integers, it doesn't yet prove
that the set of real numbers is also. However, it's probably getting there,
and may only require a few steps more to prove also that.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> Genuine question then, why isn't the set of real numbers countable,
>> given that you could represent each one with two integers (one for the
>> digits before the decimal point, one for the digits after the decimal
>> point)?
>
> The set of all strings that contain all possible combinations of two
> or more digits (in other words, the set of all possible decimal
> representations) is uncountable. In other words, it's not possible to
> enumerate them all. This might be a bit surprising (it was to me...)

This is surprising to me too, I would have thought that because every
string of digits (without a decimal place) represents an integer then it
would be countable.

> Let's assume that it is possible to enumerate every single possible infinite
> string of digits. Thus we have a(n infinite) list of numbered strings (its
> order doesn't really matter, as long as it contains *all* of them.) For
> example like:
>
> 1: 1001101110...
> 2: 0010110111...
> 3: 1100011110...
> 4: 0111001101...
>
> If the assumption is true, that means that this list is complete, ie. it
> contains every single possible string using those two digits. Which would
> mean that it's impossible to construct a string that does not appear in
> that list.
>
> However, we can construct such a string: Take the first digit of the first
> string and invert it, the second digit of the second string and invert it,
> and so on. In other words, with the example above the string would be
> 0110... etc.

I understand that, but don't understand why that proves it is
uncountable. Because you can do a similar thing with a list of all
natural numbers, ie calculate the sum and then you get a new natural
number that wasn;t in the list to start with.

Post a reply to this message

> >> Genuine question then, why isn't the set of real numbers countable,
> >> given that you could represent each one with two integers (one for the
> >> digits before the decimal point, one for the digits after the decimal
> >> point)?
> >
> > The set of all strings that contain all possible combinations of two
> > or more digits (in other words, the set of all possible decimal
> > representations) is uncountable. In other words, it's not possible to
> > enumerate them all. This might be a bit surprising (it was to me...)

> This is surprising to me too, I would have thought that because every
> string of digits (without a decimal place) represents an integer then it
> would be countable.

Note that an infinite string of digits does not represent an integer
(because no integer is infinite.) That's probably what causes the
confusion.

("No real number is infinite either." That's correct. But the decimal
representation of a real number can be.)

That's not to say that no set containing infinite decimal representations
is countable. For example the set of rational numbers contains infinitely
many values which decimal representation is infinite, yet this set is
countable. (It just that, obviously, the set of rationals does not
contain *all* possible infinite decimal representations.)

"Decimal representation" in itself might be a problematic thing to rely
on when dealing with infinite sets, because it's not very intuitive.

> > However, we can construct such a string: Take the first digit of the first
> > string and invert it, the second digit of the second string and invert it,
> > and so on. In other words, with the example above the string would be
> > 0110... etc.

> I understand that, but don't understand why that proves it is
> uncountable.

Because there's no way to enumerate them. (More technically, there exists
no bijective function between the two sets.)

> Because you can do a similar thing with a list of all
> natural numbers, ie calculate the sum and then you get a new natural
> number that wasn;t in the list to start with.

You cannot sum all the natural numbers because there's an infinite
amount of them.

Any sum of a finite amount of natural numbers gives a number that was
already in the set.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Note that an infinite string of digits does not represent an integer
> (because no integer is infinite.) That's probably what causes the
> confusion.

True.

> ("No real number is infinite either." That's correct. But the decimal
> representation of a real number can be.)

That also probably explains why you can't represent every real number
with two integers (one for the fractional part and one for the integral
part).

>> Because you can do a similar thing with a list of all
>> natural numbers, ie calculate the sum and then you get a new natural
>> number that wasn;t in the list to start with.
>
> You cannot sum all the natural numbers because there's an infinite
> amount of them.

I guess the bit I got confused with / didn't understand is that you can
have a set with an infinite number of natural numbers, yet none of the
natural numbers themselves are infinite in size.

Post a reply to this message

>> Integers are allowed to have infinite digits before the decimal place.
>> Reals are allowed them after the decimal place as well. ;-)
>
> Genuine question then, why isn't the set of real numbers countable,
> given that you could represent each one with two integers (one for the
> digits before the decimal point, one for the digits after the decimal
> point)?

I didn't comment on Orchid's quip since I assume he was joking, but you
are rightly confused because it is completely incorrect.  Real numbers
do indeed have an "integer before the decimal place", but critically
*not* necessarily "after the decimal place".  The reason is that there
may be infinitely many digits after the decimal place, all integers only
have a finite number of digits.

Post a reply to this message

> I didn't comment on Orchid's quip since I assume he was joking, but you
> are rightly confused because it is completely incorrect.  Real numbers
> do indeed have an "integer before the decimal place", but critically
> *not* necessarily "after the decimal place".  The reason is that there
> may be infinitely many digits after the decimal place, all integers only
> have a finite number of digits.

How do I better understand that all integers have a finite number of
digits, but there are infinite number of them? That's the bit I'm
struggling with.

The way I see it, the number of positive integers with N or fewer digits
is 10^N, so if N is finite then 10^N has got to be finite too?

Post a reply to this message