POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions : Re: Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:21:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math questions
From: scott
Date: 16 Jul 2013 09:28:54
Message: <51e54a96@news.povray.org>
> Note that an infinite string of digits does not represent an integer
> (because no integer is infinite.) That's probably what causes the
> confusion.

True.

> ("No real number is infinite either." That's correct. But the decimal
> representation of a real number can be.)

That also probably explains why you can't represent every real number
with two integers (one for the fractional part and one for the integral
part).

>> Because you can do a similar thing with a list of all
>> natural numbers, ie calculate the sum and then you get a new natural
>> number that wasn;t in the list to start with.
>
> You cannot sum all the natural numbers because there's an infinite
> amount of them.

I guess the bit I got confused with / didn't understand is that you can
have a set with an infinite number of natural numbers, yet none of the
natural numbers themselves are infinite in size.