POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Hell has officially frozen over (Message 57 to 66 of 66)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Hell has officially frozen over
Date: 23 Jul 2013 14:30:00
Message: <51eecba8$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:51:04 -0400, Warp wrote:

> Orchid Win7 v1 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> >
>> > I find it more interesting that the same word "or" is used in speech
>> > for "inclusive or" and "exclusive or", yet it very rarely, if ever,
>> > causes any confusion.
>
>> Like I said, sometimes "or" clearly means "and", and vice versa, and
>> yet everybody understands this.
>
> "And" is not the same as either "exclusive or" or "inclusive or".

Logically, it isn't.  Linguistically, though, it can be.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 23 Jul 2013 19:35:00
Message: <web.51ef1291e18078f7248037650@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:

> > > I actually had a laugh at the "three seventy" vs the usual "seventy
> > > three".  or did he mean "3 x seventy-seconds"?
> > >
> > > then again, I'm used to it from Sherlock Holmes books :)
> >
> > 3/72 is what was meant (not sure if you were not getting that, or being
> > silly)
> >
> > Jim
>
> I think that if you are not used to the system it is easy to read it as three
> times seventy seconds. Then when you realise what is meant you laugh at your
> embarrassment at getting it wrong.
> It is great how English words change their meaning depending on their context.
>
> Stephen

don't you British spell 32 as two and thirty?  at least, it is that way in
Victorian literature

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Jul 2013 00:40:22
Message: <51ef5ab6@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:32:33 -0400, nemesis wrote:

> don't you British spell 32 as two and thirty?  at least, it is that way
> in Victorian literature

*snortlaughs*

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 24 Jul 2013 01:10:25
Message: <51ef61c1$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/07/2013 12:32 AM, nemesis wrote:
> don't you British spell 32 as two and thirty?  at least, it is that way in
> Victorian literature

I think that is just for literary effect, as in "Four and twenty
blackbirds, baked in a pie". The language does move on, for instance we
don't call a week a sevennight any more. But there are still parts of
the country that use thee and thou.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> don't you British spell 32 as two and thirty?  at least, it is that
>> way in
>> Victorian literature
>
> I think that is just for literary effect, as in "Four and twenty
> blackbirds, baked in a pie".

No! In Old English we did say numbers that way round, but along the way
it evolved into the current way round. Note that German (which comes
from the same roots) still has the numbers that way round.

Post a reply to this message

>> don't you British spell 32 as two and thirty? at least, it is that way in
>> Victorian literature
>
> I think that is just for literary effect, as in "Four and twenty
> blackbirds, baked in a pie". The language does move on, for instance we
> don't call a week a sevennight any more. But there are still parts of
> the country that use thee and thou.

Mathematicians still refer to a polynomial "of order 2" rather than just
saying "a second order polynomial". What can I say? Mathematics was
invented a really, *really* long time ago...

Post a reply to this message