POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:28 EDT (-0400)
  Hell has officially frozen over (Message 31 to 40 of 66)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Hell has officially frozen over
Date: 20 Jul 2013 04:55:48
Message: <51ea5094@news.povray.org>
Am 20.07.2013 01:27, schrieb Stephen:
> On 20/07/2013 12:50 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Not initially, though.  They used "rob", which was a mix of sauerkraut
>> and a concentrated fruit juice mixture, which was boiled.  Well, I guess
>> the fruit juice concentrate could have been (or had as a component)
>> lemon, so fair play on that.:)

>> First recorded use of "Lime juicer" (which became "limey") to refer to a
>> Brit was 1859.
>
> I did not know any of that. I only found out about the embargo, recently.
> I tried looking it up and guess it was another Stephen Fry lie, said in
> a convincing manor.

Never believe a person named Stephen ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 20 Jul 2013 05:05:09
Message: <51ea52c5@news.povray.org>
On 19/07/2013 3:02 PM, clipka wrote:
> The use of fractions, all by itself, is still on the fun side; just wait
> until you have to express longer distances to high precision, as in "2
> ft 3 1/4 in".

What is wrong with saying "two feet, three and a quarter inches"?

But on a side issue. Our move to the SI system coinciding with cheap
calculators means that younger people can no longer do sums in their
head even with a very simple money system. And by younger I mean people
in their early 30's. Shop assistants need a calculator to add two items
then subtract it from the money tendered.I think that being forced to
use your mind to do quite complex simple arithmetic, was no bad thing.

Lordy! Things were better in my day.
Heaven help the shopkeeper who tried to short change some one on a
thrupenny ha'penny purchase when handing over a half crown. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message