POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over : Re: Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hell has officially frozen over
From: Stephen
Date: 20 Jul 2013 05:45:41
Message: <51ea5c45@news.povray.org>
On 20/07/2013 3:29 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Well, I'll cop to my source being John Lloyd for that, and it wouldn't be
> the first time that I'd seen/heard something in one of his books that I
> knew wasn't quite correct.

True. I would think that there is a team of researchers being used for QI.

> OED cites an example from 1888 as its earliest citation, but OED doesn't
> always have the earliest, since the quotations are just examples. But it
> does confirm something I thought was the case, which is that it wasn't
> common to the US, but more common to other colonies, notably Australia,
> New Zeland, and South Africa. At least as an "English Immigrant".

Our "received wisdom" is that it was Poms for Brits in the antipodes.
But you never can tell.

> In the US, the term comes along later (or at least the earliest quote
> citing it is later, 1918), referring to an English or British sailor.
> That actually does match up with the information in the Second Book of
> General Ignorance (the quotation uses "lime-juicer" to refer to the ship,
> and "limeys" to refer to the sailors).

Jack Tars, this side of the pond. Me lad!
Oo Arr!

BTW Did you know that Avast! Me hearties. Actually means "Stop what
you're doing"?

> But Mr. Fry doesn't do the research, generally, for QI.  I don't know
> that Lloyd does that much of it any more, either.;)

Mr. Fry says more than his prayers, when he wants to impress. IMO.

--
Regards
     Stephen