POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Basic arithmetic Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Basic arithmetic (Message 20 to 29 of 39)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Basic arithmetic
Date: 13 Mar 2013 18:51:53
Message: <51410309$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 22:43:45 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> It sounds like you are enjoying your job.

That's certainly true.

> And doesn't everyone outside of academia know that the exam system
> sucks? Now, the education system "teaches" to pass exams not to educate.

Not always, but usually in academia it's been my experience that that's
true.  In uni, most exams are not vetted as well as a certification exam,
and the professors/teachers aren't trained in psychometric analysis, item
analysis, or how even really how to write good questions that measure
learning effectively.

> A vicious circle that dilutes any benefit that being able to read
> without moving your lips, gives.

LOL

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 13/03/2013 10:51 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 22:43:45 +0000, Stephen wrote:

>> And doesn't everyone outside of academia know that the exam system
>> sucks? Now, the education system "teaches" to pass exams not to educate.
>
> Not always, but usually in academia it's been my experience that that's
> true.  In uni, most exams are not vetted as well as a certification exam,
> and the professors/teachers aren't trained in psychometric analysis, item
> analysis, or how even really how to write good questions that measure
> learning effectively.

Arrrg!<Runs away wrapping his arms about his head.>  :-P

>> A vicious circle that dilutes any benefit that being able to read
>> without moving your lips, gives.
>
> LOL
>
> Jim

??? I am being serious. Well half serious, anyway. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message