POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Basic arithmetic : Re: Basic arithmetic Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Basic arithmetic
From: scott
Date: 14 Mar 2013 04:29:51
Message: <51418a7f$1@news.povray.org>
> I had a similar debate with a physics prof once in college - the course
> was for engineering students, but I was a CS student, so I'd have
> reference materials available to ensure that I was coding the forumulas
> properly in my simulation - and if I didn't remember the exact formula
> for calculating lift based on a particular airfoil shape, I wouldn't
> guess, I'd look it up.

Guess it varies from place to place, in my engineering exams we had
official data books that contained pretty much all the standard
formulas. The exams were more about how to solve particular problems,
which usually involved using several equations (and often a good bit of
calculus) rather than seeing who had spent the most time memorising the
formula.

But of course the shorter ones you used most often you remembered
anyway, but the point was you didn't have to waste hours trying to
remember them exactly.