POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Odd lack of sense of humor Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Odd lack of sense of humor (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Warp
Subject: Odd lack of sense of humor
Date: 17 Feb 2013 04:12:28
Message: <51209efb@news.povray.org>
I was watching the latest speedrun of Quake on YouTube (which completes
the game in under 12 minutes), and I wrote a comment along these lines
as a joke:

"Nowadays it takes hours and hours to complete a game. Back in the good
old times you could complete a game like this in under 12 minutes."

I admit it might not be the funniest and witties of puns, but I think
it's at least slightly funny as humor.

I got a really odd response by someone calling me an idiot and explaining
to me what a speedrun is and whatnot. I couldn't help but respond with a
likewise witty remark along the lines of "if you don't understand humor,
then perhaps you shouldn't be calling other people 'idiots'..."

Ok, that was just one case. Some time later I reused the same joke on
a tool-assisted speedrun of Solstice. (Yeah, it's a bit lame to use the
same joke again, but hey, I'm not *that* good at inventing humor. I have
to use what I have. :P )

Again someone didn't get it, and also told me about what a speedrun is,
as if I didn't know. I had to actually *explain* the joke (and we all know
what explaining the joke does to it.) Then this exemplar of human intellect
responded by saying that it's "not funny." (Well, duh. If you don't
understand humor and the joke has to be explained to you, what do you
expect?)

I am just wondering how obscure this kind of pun really is. It doesn't
look so obscure to me, but maybe that's just me.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message