POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paper on automated vehicles Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Paper on automated vehicles (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: scott
Subject: Paper on automated vehicles
Date: 9 Jan 2013 05:56:44
Message: <50ed4cec$1@news.povray.org>
http://www-personal.acfr.usyd.edu.au/spns/motion/CornelSkynet.pdf

Lots of technical detail about how the sensor and control systems work
in an autonomous car. Pay attention - this is the future!

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Paper on automated vehicles
Date: 9 Jan 2013 06:08:45
Message: <50ed4fbd@news.povray.org>
Le 09/01/2013 11:56, scott nous fit lire :
> http://www-personal.acfr.usyd.edu.au/spns/motion/CornelSkynet.pdf
>
> Lots of technical detail about how the sensor and control systems work
> in an autonomous car. Pay attention - this is the future!

2D thinking... what about bridge jumping ?

Would any EMP enters the Faraday cage of the car ?

It seems there is a dead zone on either sides, rear... exactly where the
current French motor-bikers go when passing you (violating the
requirement/law of 1m between vehicles)... Seems a good news, that
should provide more organs to the hospitals... Motorbike detected on the
back side... disappears... ignored... collided. Perfect.

Post a reply to this message

> 2D thinking... what about bridge jumping ?

I imagine the amount of extra hardware and software required to track
objects in 3D would be immense for not much benefit.

> Would any EMP enters the Faraday cage of the car ?
>
> It seems there is a dead zone on either sides, rear... exactly where the
> current French motor-bikers go when passing you (violating the
> requirement/law of 1m between vehicles)...

Not sure, the diagram shows a dead-zone but in the text and table it
states there is a 90 degree rangefinder in the rear side doors that is
not shown in the diagram.

> Seems a good news, that
> should provide more organs to the hospitals... Motorbike detected on the
> back side... disappears... ignored... collided. Perfect.

It seems like the algorithms are sophisticated enough not to just ignore
the fact that an object has vanished from the sensors momentarily - so
you'll have to live with the crazy motorcylists for a bit longer :-)

Post a reply to this message