POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:27:30 EDT (-0400)
  This week's WTF moment (Message 77 to 86 of 86)
From: scott
Subject: Re: This week's WTF moment
Date: 18 Jan 2013 03:23:00
Message: <50f90664$1@news.povray.org>
> See my recent speculations: I really think they /want/ to give away the
> stuff away for free for anyone to try, with the aim to get people hooked
> to buy the newer versions (note the CS6 advertisement on the page!), but
> can't do so legally due to some 3rd party intellectual property in CS2.
> Codecs, color management stuff, fonts - whatever.

That seems the most logical explanation - it is very strangely worded.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 18 Jan 2013 04:24:00
Message: <50f914b0$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/01/2013 8:20 AM, scott wrote:
>> Before the internet was even thought of, there was a saying (or two).
>> There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
>> If it looks too good to be true then it probably isn't true.
>> Etc. etc.
>
> This is after the internet though, there are millions of pieces of
> software available for free, many of which you used to have to pay for.

Maybe age is making me sceptical but I think that looking out for
yourself is still worthwhile.
It is a "byte eat byte" world out there and I bet "Core Wars" is still
running on at least one CPU.
Can you be paranoid enough?

--
Regards