POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: Warp
Date: 18 Jan 2013 10:53:34
Message: <50f96ffe@news.povray.org>
> See my recent speculations: I really think they /want/ to give away the
> stuff away for free for anyone to try, with the aim to get people hooked
> to buy the newer versions (note the CS6 advertisement on the page!), but
> can't do so legally due to some 3rd party intellectual property in CS2.
> Codecs, color management stuff, fonts - whatever.

Exactly which law supports the notion that "you can use my intellectual
property in a commercial program but not in a free (but closed-source)
program"?

If Adobe has acquired the license eg. for a library for commercial purposes,
what kind of law would stop them from not charging any money for the
softare? (And why would the library owner care, as long as Adobe pays them
the proper licensing fees?)

--
                                                          - Warp