POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  How is this even possible? (Message 61 to 70 of 98)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: How is this even possible?
Date: 20 Dec 2012 16:59:18
Message: <50d38a36$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/12/2012 3:46 PM, Warp wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>>> They dropped that
>>> particular commandment.
>
>> News to me.
>
> The second commandment according to the Catholic church (as well as the
> Lutheran one, which adopted this from the former) is not "you shall not
> make a carved image", but "you shall not take the name of the Lord your
> God in vain."

Comparing Jewish, RC & Proddy: It seems to me that Christians could not
use the Jewish first commandment as they had not been delivered out of
bondage from the Egyptians so the RCs split the verses about coveting
into two and the Proddies added the one about graven images to get at
the Catholics.
Now, I don't think that I have an axe to grind as I was baptised a RC,
brought up  C of E (or as near as you can in Scotland), went to a
Presbyterian school and finally the youth group I attended was afiliated
to the United Free Church of Scotland (or the Wee Free as they are
known, sometimes, the Talaban without guns).
At this point I run out of words and enthusiasm as I remember that I
think they are all the product of power games to keep the common herd in
their place. So as Robert Burns our national poet one said.
"Where ere ye be
Let the wind gang free
So (fart noise) to the lot o' them."

>>> There's no actual biblical justification for this, other than the Roman
>>> church declaring itself as the true representative of God, and therefore
>>> having the power to do such things.)
>>>

>> Well, I would not put money on that. I bet a pound to a penny someone
>> can find something in the bible that says that it is okay. (And if not,
>> dreamed that God spake unto him, that it was so.)
>
> There's no biblical rationale for dropping it.

Eh! you say that as if the bible was the word of God. It was written by
men. The King James VI version, which most English speaking people used
for more than 300 years, was commissioned to to rationalise the
different versions being used at the time. It was finished in 1611 which
was a very long time after Jesus. So what do you think about it being an
accurate source of Jesus's life and sayings?

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message