POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:28:55 EDT (-0400)
  How is this even possible? (Message 41 to 50 of 98)
From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Re: How is this even possible?
Date: 17 Dec 2012 10:07:25
Message: <50cf352d$1@news.povray.org>

> Patrick Elliott <kag### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> and lots, of time undermining education
>
> I have never understood what the goal is with that. What possible good can
> it do to anybody to limit education?

"From the moment when the machine first made its appearance it was clear
to all thinking people that the need for human drudgery, and therefore
to a great extent for human inequality, had disappeared.  If the machine
were used deliberately for that end, hunger, overwork, dirt, illiteracy
and disease could be eliminated within a few generations. ... But it was
also clear that an all-round increase in wealth threatened the
destruction - indeed, in some sense was the destruction - of a
hierarchical society.  ... the most obvious and perhaps the most
important form of inequality would already have disappeared.  If it once
became general, wealth would confer no distinction. ... But in practice
such a society could not long remain stable.  For if leisure and
security were enjoyed by all alike, the great mass of human beings who
are normally stupefied by poverty would become literate and would learn
to think for themselves; and when once they had done this, they would
sooner or later realise that the privileged minority had no function,
and they would sweep it away.   In the long run, a hierarchical society
was only possible on a basis of poverty and ignorance.  ... Ignorance is
Strength"

- G. Orwell. 1984.