POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Gibberish Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:48 EDT (-0400)
  Gibberish (Message 1 to 10 of 20)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Gibberish
Date: 4 Nov 2012 15:39:00
Message: <5096d264$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

I believe the phrase is "epic fail".

But then, I guess I'm one of a small band of elite experts, and the
general populous doesn't know this...

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Gibberish
Date: 4 Nov 2012 20:13:26
Message: <509712b6$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.11.2012 21:39, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU
>
> I believe the phrase is "epic fail".
>
> But then, I guess I'm one of a small band of elite experts, and the
> general populous doesn't know this...

Related (at least according to YouTube): Hilarious take on some other
epic fail you'll probably all know...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO9J5H9Nm4c&feature=related

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 5 Nov 2012 10:05:12
Message: <5097d5a8$1@news.povray.org>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU
>
> I believe the phrase is "epic fail".
>
> But then, I guess I'm one of a small band of elite experts, and the
> general populous doesn't know this...

Exactly.  Grandma wouldn't know this makes no sense at all, and most
people prefer to see a 10 year old girl "flying" over a wireframe mesh
of the Jurassic Park building to get to the building they're in and lock
the doors before the raptors get in than to see Trinity use bash to
exploit a buffer overflow in ssh v1.0 and hack into the Matrix.

Whle we're on the topic of Epic Fails, as it pertains to computers in
movies, Goldeneye is really bad for it.  The least of which is the
persavise IBM product placement through out the movie.  "e-Mail" that
looks like some sort of kiddie chat with cartoon avatars, viruses that
make rack modems fizz with sparks, and IBM product placement in the
least likely places (watch for the OS/2 Warp boot screens all over the
course of the movie!)

> Exactly.  Grandma wouldn't know this makes no sense at all, and most
> people prefer to see a 10 year old girl "flying" over a wireframe mesh
> of the Jurassic Park building to get to the building they're in and
> lock the doors before the raptors get in [...]

Wasn't this a real interface developed by SGI?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn

Post a reply to this message

>> But then, I guess I'm one of a small band of elite experts, and the
>> general populous doesn't know this...
>
> Exactly.  Grandma wouldn't know this makes no sense at all, and most
> people prefer to see a 10 year old girl "flying" over a wireframe mesh
> of the Jurassic Park building to get to the building they're in and lock
> the doors before the raptors get in than to see Trinity use bash to
> exploit a buffer overflow in ssh v1.0 and hack into the Matrix.
>
> Whle we're on the topic of Epic Fails, as it pertains to computers in
> movies, Goldeneye is really bad for it.  The least of which is the
> persavise IBM product placement through out the movie.  "e-Mail" that
> looks like some sort of kiddie chat with cartoon avatars, viruses that
> make rack modems fizz with sparks, and IBM product placement in the
> least likely places (watch for the OS/2 Warp boot screens all over the
> course of the movie!)

And I did an epic fail of my own editing that message!

>> Exactly.  Grandma wouldn't know this makes no sense at all, and most
>> people prefer to see a 10 year old girl "flying" over a wireframe mesh
>> of the Jurassic Park building to get to the building they're in and
>> lock the doors before the raptors get in [...]
>
> Wasn't this a real interface developed by SGI?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fsn

So it was.

The point stands, though, that it was more visually appealing to have
her use a 3D GUI than a shell.

On 05/11/2012 06:44 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> And I did an epic fail of my own editing that message!

Yeah, gotta love it when that happens. (Usually while pointing out an
error in something else...)

Post a reply to this message

>> But then, I guess I'm one of a small band of elite experts, and the
>> general populous doesn't know this...
>
> Exactly. Grandma wouldn't know this makes no sense at all, and most
> people prefer to see a 10 year old girl "flying" over a wireframe mesh
> of the Jurassic Park building to get to the building they're in and lock
> the doors before the raptors get in than to see Trinity use bash to
> exploit a buffer overflow in ssh v1.0 and hack into the Matrix.

To some extent, I can feel the script-writer's dilemma. Watching
somebody *actually* hack a computer is very uninteresting. There isn't
really much to see.

This, however, is absolutely no excuse for inserting random gibberish
into dialogue just because you think nobody will know you're talking
nonsense. That's just lazy.

Also: I'm pretty damned certain that no matter how much of an elite
computer nerd you are, you *cannot* actually hack traffic lights. You
know, seeing as they aren't controlled by a computer in the first place...

> Whle we're on the topic of Epic Fails, as it pertains to computers in
> movies, Goldeneye is really bad for it. The least of which is the
> persavise IBM product placement through out the movie. "e-Mail" that
> looks like some sort of kiddie chat with cartoon avatars, viruses that
> make rack modems fizz with sparks, and IBM product placement in the
> least likely places (watch for the OS/2 Warp boot screens all over the
> course of the movie!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl0LZsyi_tA

Post a reply to this message