POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Scientific illiteracy in boards of education (Message 71 to 80 of 107)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
Date: 14 Nov 2012 08:11:42
Message: <50a3988e@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] kosherhotmailcom> wrote:
> The notion that our political problems can be solved by granting power
> to the right people is inherently flawed.  Power always winds up in the
> hands of the least trustworthy because the most trustworthy have utterly
> no interest in power.

A large society (meaning more than a few hundreds of people) cannot work
properly and efficiently without some kind of organization and people who
are in charge of organizing. In order for society to work, everybody (or
at least those who are able) have to work to make it work. But not
everybody can (nor should) have the same tasks. Organizing the tasks and
economy of very large amounts of people just requires a hierarchy of
people to organize it, to lay out plans, to distribute tasks.

Government is a necessity in any society larger than a few hundreds of
people, if that society wants to have standards of living better than
mud huts and hunting-gathering.

Many forms of government have been tried during the entire history of
humanity. So far representative democracy seems to be the one that
achieves the most good with the least amount of negative sides. (One of
its major advantages is that it's, in principle, self-corrective: If
incompetent people end up in the government, they will eventually be
replaced by better candidates. At least in theory. Of course there are
many stumbling blocks in the path of achieving this perfect situation,
psychology being one of the biggest ones.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message