POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 14 Nov 2012 12:19:30
Message: <50a3d2a2$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/14/2012 9:12 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> Le 2012-11-13 21:17, John VanSickle a écrit :
>> On 11/6/2012 4:12 AM, scott wrote:
>> In short, power attracts the worst among us, winds up in the hands of
>> the worst who seek it, and makes anyone who gets it worse people than
>> before.
>>
>> The solution?  Limit the size and power of government.  It is the only
>> thing that appears to limit the damage that corrupt politicians can do.
>
> It just moves power in the hands of someone else.  If govt is not
> involved in a field, whether it's education, garbage removal, road
> repair, nuclear defense, you name it.  Someone else needs to be in
> charge of it, and that someone is not any more or any less impervious to
> be corrupted by power.

And, when the situation requires immediate solutions, they often lack
the time, raw resources, people, and access to necessary expertise, to
actually do the job. There is a reason we don't let corporations, since
like the very early days, when people first started making paved roads,
decide which roads get paved. There was this odd tendency for some to
make crappy roads, for them to place tolls all over, if they bothered to
make other roads at all, or for them to only build and maintain the
roads **they** needed. When cities are in charge, the roads suck
slightly less. When the state is in charge, and they are not
underfunded, and pushing the money to other crap, it worked well. Right
up until they "defunded" those projects, in favor of their own biased
idiocies, and let the roads rot. And so on.