POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An ironic development Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:10 EDT (-0400)
  An ironic development (Message 51 to 60 of 60)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: An ironic development
Date: 1 Nov 2012 17:30:45
Message: <5092ea05$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/11/2012 08:13 PM, Urs Holzer wrote:
> Some of them actually write something into the gap behind the master
> boot record.

Surely you can't actually do that in a protected-mode operating system.
(I.e., anything less ancient than Windows NT, circa 1993.)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 1 Nov 2012 17:45:46
Message: <5092ed8a@news.povray.org>
Am 01.11.2012 22:30, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> On 01/11/2012 08:13 PM, Urs Holzer wrote:
>> Some of them actually write something into the gap behind the master
>> boot record.
>
> Surely you can't actually do that in a protected-mode operating system.
> (I.e., anything less ancient than Windows NT, circa 1993.)

Protected mode doesn't automatically protect your hard drive. I very
much suspect that everything up to (and including) Windows XP can be
coaxed into messing with the hard drive at sector level without too much
effort.

(Oh, and by the way, protected mode has been in use ever since Windows 3.1.)

Antivirus software should protest at such an event though.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu 01/11/12 21:30, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 08:13 PM, Urs Holzer wrote:
>> Some of them actually write something into the gap behind the master
>> boot record.
>
> Surely you can't actually do that in a protected-mode operating system.
> (I.e., anything less ancient than Windows NT, circa 1993.)

Surely you shouldn't be able to install a rootkit from an audio CD
without the user knowing :-)

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 21:30:53 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 01/11/2012 08:13 PM, Urs Holzer wrote:
>> Some of them actually write something into the gap behind the master
>> boot record.
>
> Surely you can't actually do that in a protected-mode operating system.
> (I.e., anything less ancient than Windows NT, circa 1993.)

Protected mode operating systems don't have anything to do with
preventing I/O operations from happening....

Jim

Post a reply to this message