POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An ironic development : Re: An ironic development Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An ironic development
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 3 Nov 2012 05:34:16
Message: <5094e518$1@news.povray.org>
>> Surely you can't actually do that in a protected-mode operating system.
>> (I.e., anything less ancient than Windows NT, circa 1993.)
>
> Protected mode operating systems don't have anything to do with
> preventing I/O operations from happening....

Yes it does.

It means your program can't just casually access the underlying hardware
directly. It has to convince the OS to do that for you. (Or install
itself as a device driver - which again requires convincing the OS.)

So, yes, if it's a protected mode OS, you can't just hit the metal
directly. Whether the OS will refuse to do the operation on your behalf
is still up for debate, however... :-(