POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Meshes... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Meshes... (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Meshes...
Date: 26 Oct 2012 02:57:20
Message: <508a3450$1@news.povray.org>
Planning to do a design for a cyborg "lab" and figured that the best way
to handle a display (this is lower tech than you see in say, Deus Ex:
Human Revolution), is to take a page from... damn, I wish I had
bookmarked the thing. There was information on a medical equipment site,
which showed a new system that displayed images, in 3D, over the device,
in color. It projected them out of the top of the thing, somehow. The
closest I can find are:

http://pinktentacle.com/2006/02/aist-develops-3d-image-projector/

Which is very similar, but mono-chrome. And:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-11/new-holographic-device-can-record-and-display-3-d-holograms-near-real-time

which isn't even close, but definitely neat. In any case, since the tech
is technically "almost here", its well within allowable ranges for the
lab. lol The problem is that I had planned to use a spherical camera to
generate images of various "bionic/cyborg" parts. Well.. I am not at all
interested in paying $499 for a very good cyborg, never mind a lot of
money for stuff that is ever shittier. I found a terminator head, which
was free, which I can probably get an eye out of, and maybe some other
bits, but I am looking for feasible, and free, other parts. Hands, feet,
legs, a heart maybe, what ever I can find, so I can make images which I
can switch out, as needed, in the final result. Figured, POVRay would be
easiest to render the results, sort of X-Rayish. Any clues where I can
find myself some parts?

Post a reply to this message

On 10/25/2012 11:57 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Planning to do a design for a cyborg "lab" and figured that the best way
> to handle a display (this is lower tech than you see in say, Deus Ex:
> Human Revolution), is to take a page from... damn, I wish I had
> bookmarked the thing. There was information on a medical equipment site,
> which showed a new system that displayed images, in 3D, over the device,
> in color. It projected them out of the top of the thing, somehow. The
> closest I can find are:
>
> http://pinktentacle.com/2006/02/aist-develops-3d-image-projector/
>
> Which is very similar, but mono-chrome. And:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-11/new-holographic-device-can-record-and-display-3-d-holograms-near-real-time

> which isn't even close, but definitely neat. In any case, since the tech
> is technically "almost here", its well within allowable ranges for the
> lab. lol The problem is that I had planned to use a spherical camera to
> generate images of various "bionic/cyborg" parts. Well.. I am not at all
> interested in paying $499 for a very good cyborg, never mind a lot of
> money for stuff that is ever shittier. I found a terminator head, which
> was free, which I can probably get an eye out of, and maybe some other
> bits, but I am looking for feasible, and free, other parts. Hands, feet,
> legs, a heart maybe, what ever I can find, so I can make images which I
> can switch out, as needed, in the final result. Figured, POVRay would be
> easiest to render the results, sort of X-Rayish. Any clues where I can
> find myself some parts?

Hmm. OK, I guess it is the AIST device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9af-aX-UDDM&feature=fvwp
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/true-3d-display-created-using-a-laser-and-50000-dots-per-second-20111114/

Though, the version shown on the medical site seemed more "solid", maybe
a slight improved version, over what they already did in the videos.

Post a reply to this message

> Planning to do a design for a cyborg "lab" and figured that the best way
> to handle a display (this is lower tech than you see in say, Deus Ex:
> Human Revolution), is to take a page from... damn, I wish I had
> bookmarked the thing. There was information on a medical equipment site,
> which showed a new system that displayed images, in 3D, over the device,
> in color. It projected them out of the top of the thing, somehow. The
> closest I can find are:
>
> http://pinktentacle.com/2006/02/aist-develops-3d-image-projector/
>
> Which is very similar, but mono-chrome. And:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2010-11/new-holographic-device-can-record-and-display-3-d-holograms-near-real-time

Reminds me of Rune's hologram projector :-)