POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Objective listening Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Objective listening (Message 41 to 45 of 45)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Objective listening
Date: 1 Oct 2012 18:44:16
Message: <506a1cc0$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 21:45:29 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> I heard Alfredo Kraus sing “Ah! mes amis, quel jour de fête!” with its
> nine high Cs when he must have been in his late 50’s. He could hit high
> Ds live without sliding (eat your heart out Pavarotti)

Clearly you didn't hear this, because it's impossible.  Andy said so. ;)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Oct 2012 22:34:00
Message: <506a5298$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/1/2012 9:44 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> Have you listened to the developer commentary?
>
> Yes.
>
>>> (And yes, she can sing in tune. However, no human can quantinise their
>>> vocal pitch as harshly and artificially as a machine can.)
>>
>> I've heard people do pretty amazing things with their voices.  It takes a
>> lot of training and practice, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't
>> someone who could mimic the effect.
>
> That's like claiming that there are people who can move their arm from
> point A to point B without it visibly passing through any of the points
> in between.
>
> A machine with a hydrolic arm powered by fifteen tonnes of pressure can
> do this. A human being cannot.
There is some obscure Asian cult that involves desynchronizing one's
vocal cords, so that each one produces a different frequency and sound
(they normally approximate the same pitch at all times), so... not sure
how "impossible" it is.

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 1 Oct 2012 23:46:09
Message: <506a6381@news.povray.org>
Le 02/10/2012 04:33, Patrick Elliott nous fit lire :
> There is some obscure Asian cult that involves desynchronizing one's
> vocal cords, so that each one produces a different frequency and sound
> (they normally approximate the same pitch at all times), so... not sure
> how "impossible" it is.

If you are thinking about "overtone singing" ("chant diphonique" in
French), it's not about the two vocal cords at different frequency, but
about the choice of harmonic in the resonators (mouth/... )
You do not control the "frequency" of the vocal cords, only their/its
tension. The vocal cords are like the hands in the old koan:
Two hands clap and there is a sound. What is the sound of one hand?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Oct 2012 05:50:01
Message: <web.506ab8062a63e82ff2eb76540@news.povray.org>
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 21:45:29 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>
> > I heard Alfredo Kraus sing “Ah! mes amis, quel jour de fête!” with its
> > nine high Cs when he must have been in his late 50’s. He could hit high
> > Ds live without sliding (eat your heart out Pavarotti)
>
> Clearly you didn't hear this, because it's impossible.  Andy said so. ;)
>
> Jim

True! The great naysayer says so. It must be true (or is that false?).

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Oct 2012 22:51:56
Message: <506ba84c$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/1/2012 8:46 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 02/10/2012 04:33, Patrick Elliott nous fit lire :
>> There is some obscure Asian cult that involves desynchronizing one's
>> vocal cords, so that each one produces a different frequency and sound
>> (they normally approximate the same pitch at all times), so... not sure
>> how "impossible" it is.
>
> If you are thinking about "overtone singing" ("chant diphonique" in
> French), it's not about the two vocal cords at different frequency, but
> about the choice of harmonic in the resonators (mouth/... )
> You do not control the "frequency" of the vocal cords, only their/its
> tension. The vocal cords are like the hands in the old koan:
> Two hands clap and there is a sound. What is the sound of one hand?

Umm. Pretty sure they had a scope on the show I watched about it, which
clearly showed the two vocal cords "out of sync". But, yeah, there are
several variations on how its done. I got the impression that while the
"standard" methods, like you are talking about, are not uncommon, its
somewhat rarer to find someone that can do the more extreme version.