POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Objective listening : Re: Objective listening Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objective listening
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Oct 2012 22:51:56
Message: <506ba84c$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/1/2012 8:46 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 02/10/2012 04:33, Patrick Elliott nous fit lire :
>> There is some obscure Asian cult that involves desynchronizing one's
>> vocal cords, so that each one produces a different frequency and sound
>> (they normally approximate the same pitch at all times), so... not sure
>> how "impossible" it is.
>
> If you are thinking about "overtone singing" ("chant diphonique" in
> French), it's not about the two vocal cords at different frequency, but
> about the choice of harmonic in the resonators (mouth/... )
> You do not control the "frequency" of the vocal cords, only their/its
> tension. The vocal cords are like the hands in the old koan:
> Two hands clap and there is a sound. What is the sound of one hand?

Umm. Pretty sure they had a scope on the show I watched about it, which
clearly showed the two vocal cords "out of sync". But, yeah, there are
several variations on how its done. I got the impression that while the
"standard" methods, like you are talking about, are not uncommon, its
somewhat rarer to find someone that can do the more extreme version.