POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stack Exchange fights bad patents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Stack Exchange fights bad patents (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Stack Exchange fights bad patents
Date: 27 Sep 2012 04:57:14
Message: <506414ea$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/09/2012 01:28 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> Who said anything about high quality microphones or sound-proof rooms?
> Most music is done with synthetizers nowadays.

I would dispute that assertion. But sure, if all you want is electronic
music, you really *do* just need a laptop, some software, and possibly a
few MIDI controllers.

If, on the other hand, you want to record your totally kick-ass flute
playing, or you want to produce any kind of music that includes vocals,
you're going to need a microphone and a quiet recording environment.

> And in the event that
> they actually want a good mic, they can get them used for less than $100
> off e-Bay.

And a room with low noise and suitable acoustics?

> Professional recording engineers don't come beofre you get an actual
> record deal with a company.

See, the thing is, I've made plenty of music in my bedroom. But it never
sounds anywhere as good as even the crappiest shop-bought CD. And that's
because I am not a professional sound engineer. I don't know how to do
things like EQ adjustments to give an optimal sound. Thus, everything I
made screams "this was done in somebody's bedroom".

> Most people are do-it-yourselfers nowadays. I know a few that actually
> made enough money by recording in their bedrooms that they are actually
> making a living out of it.

Seriously? I mean, for real? That's actually physically possible?

I mean, I can imagine that every once in a while, someone gets lucky
this way. But /several/ people this lucky??

Post a reply to this message