POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Black Mesa Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:18:48 EDT (-0400)
  Black Mesa (Message 21 to 30 of 32)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Black Mesa
Date: 23 Sep 2012 05:28:37
Message: <505ed645@news.povray.org>
> Black Mesa is not a AAA title. As far as I can tell, nobody even got
> paid. But unlike when Valve paid id Software a crapload of money to
> license their game engine, the people behind Black Mesa were able to use
> the very latest version of the Source engine *for free*. They also used
> a whole bunch of game assets from HL2, CSS and similar. They can only do
> this because the game is free, of course; if you wanted to /sell/ this
> game, you'd have to license the technology.

Valve seems to be a really nice and non-evil game company. When someone
makes a mod, expansion or remake of their intellectual property, Valve's
lawyers are not getting lawgasms and sending cease&desist notifications
like mad. Instead, Valve encourages and embraces fan-made works based on
their IP.

This is quite unlike many other game companies (eg. Square-Enix is one
of the most infamous ones on this regard. They are real a-holes sometimes.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message