POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I wonder why Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  I wonder why (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: I wonder why
Date: 12 Sep 2012 12:51:33
Message: <5050bd95$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/09/2012 02:24 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> My best guess is that most computer lusers are so stupid that MS Word is
>> the only document format that they know exists, so recruiters just cater
>> to that.
>>

> You are an IT geek. They are recruiters. You know and understand
> computers. They know and understand HR concepts. Just because they don't
> share your deep understanding of computers doesn't mean they're stupid.
> Just like the fact that you don't understand the first thing about going
> on an interview or selling yourself means you're stupid.
>
> It would really do you a ton of good to stop using hyperbole and to try
> to view the world with an open mind, and not have so many preconceived
> notions about it.

If you reread, I didn't say the recruiters are stupid, but rather the
people they try to recruit.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 12 Sep 2012 12:52:35
Message: <5050bdd3$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/09/2012 02:18 PM, scott wrote:
>>> Maybe they're putting it into a neutral/common format before sending it
>>> to the company? I've seen that a few times.
>>
>> Which is amusing, because PDF is a "neutral/common format", while MS
>> Word is a closed, proprietary format. You would /think/ it should be the
>> other way around...
>
> I meant format as in the layout/font etc, not the file format. In order
> to change that it's easier to start with Word rather than a PDF.

OK, well I guess that makes sense. As I say, PDF doesn't contain the
logical information necessary to make that particularly easy to do.

> The
> same way some companies want you to fill in all your details on a
> website rather than post a CV, it just makes it easier for them to
> process all the applications when all the answers are the same boxes.

Yeah - but I doubt you could easily get that out of any document format
in a suitably "automatic" way...

Post a reply to this message