POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:29 EDT (-0400)
  Today's WTF (Message 9 to 18 of 18)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Today's WTF
Date: 15 Sep 2012 04:44:38
Message: <50543ff6$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/09/2012 05:41 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 9/11/2012 11:18, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> The guy /claims/ he was looking at some paperwork that said John Lewis on
>> it... Either that or he just doesn't know where the **** he works. ;-)
>
> Unless the previous or next person to call was named John Lewis and it
> just happened to be the name of a store you recognized.

Fun fact: If I open Google and type "j", then John Lewis is the first
search term it suggests...

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2012 06:25:14
Message: <5054578a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.09.2012 10:44, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> On 15/09/2012 05:41 AM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 9/11/2012 11:18, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> The guy /claims/ he was looking at some paperwork that said John
>>> Lewis on
>>> it... Either that or he just doesn't know where the **** he works. ;-)
>>
>> Unless the previous or next person to call was named John Lewis and it
>> just happened to be the name of a store you recognized.
>
> Fun fact: If I open Google and type "j", then John Lewis is the first
> search term it suggests...

... because you possibly searched for that term earlier? :-P

Hint: The search term suggestions /are/ personalized.

http://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&hlrm=de&answer=106230

Post a reply to this message

> Am 15.09.2012 10:44, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> > Fun fact: If I open Google and type "j", then John Lewis is the first
> > search term it suggests...

> ... because you possibly searched for that term earlier? :-P

> Hint: The search term suggestions /are/ personalized.

Remember that the next time you search for "free pron" or something
similar...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> Hint: The search term suggestions /are/ personalized.

But how is that possible? How can Google know who I am?

How can it know that today's search is from the same human who performed
a search two weeks ago?

Post a reply to this message

On 15-9-2012 13:07, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 15/09/2012 11:25 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Hint: The search term suggestions /are/ personalized.
>
> But how is that possible? How can Google know who I am?
>
> How can it know that today's search is from the same human who performed
> a search two weeks ago?
IP address?
Cookies?

--
Women are the canaries of science. When they are underrepresented
it is a strong indication that non-scientific factors play a role

Post a reply to this message

>>> Hint: The search term suggestions /are/ personalized.
>>
>> But how is that possible? How can Google know who I am?

> IP address?

That changes every few days.

> Cookies?

Oh, right. So if I just disallow cookies from Google, it'll go away?

Post a reply to this message