POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HL2 Speed run Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  HL2 Speed run (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: HL2 Speed run
Date: 6 Sep 2012 09:17:57
Message: <5048a285@news.povray.org>
OK, so I don't imagine this post contains anything new for folks already
acquainted with such stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k3pxys0fYQ

That's HalfLife 2, completed in about one and a half hours. And believe
me, *most* of this is time standing around listening to NPCs.

First, we have the bunny hop. I don't pretend to know how this works,
but by running and jumping in a certain combination, you trigger a
glitch in the game which gives you the ability to travel about 7x faster
than should be possible. Obviously this allows you to get from A to B
much faster. But in this video, we see the player using this to run
straight past wave after wave of enemies without even firing a single
shot. Quite simply, he's *gone* before the enemies have a change to
attack him.

Second, there is apparently some sort of physics glitch whereby if you
stand on top of a movable object that you happen to be holding on to and
jump, you go up in the air, but the object follows you, and you can then
jump off of it again [even though it's suspended in thin air]. In
summary, you can levitate. This means that impassable obstacles that
should take you 20 minutes to navigate around, collecting keys, pressing
switches, and so forth, can now simply be levitated over in a few seconds.

By combining bunny hops and levitation, some of the outdoor levels get
completed in 12 seconds or less. (These levels would normally take 20
minutes or so.) Sometimes you can just run outside, levitate into the
sky, and straight-line it to wherever the exit is. The level will of
course be designed to take you from A to B by the most circuitous route
possible - but you just skipped it all! Need to get from street level to
the top of a building? Don't battle through all the rooms, just levitate
and go in through the window. [Assuming a suitable window is available.]
And so on.

Perhaps most interestingly, whoever did this has discovered that if an
NPC is walking somewhere, and you gently tap them on the head with a
physics object, they instantly teleport forwards 12 feet. This lets you
hurry up the dialogue sequences, which are now by far the slowest part
of the whole game.

There are no rocket jumps, but I did see a few grenade jumps (and even a
plasma ball jump). Perhaps the most impressive part is that nobody died.
They came bloody close many, many times...

Leaving aside all that, *for me* the single most impressive thing I saw
was the moment when the player kills one of the combine soldiers WITH A
RADIATOR. He literally picked up a radiator, threw it at a guy, and that
killed him. In all my years of playing HL2, I've never managed to get
that to work. You often see people do it in HL2: Death Match. But it
never, ever works for me...

(Rather, you point the gravity gun at a radiator, so it picks up some
tiny splinter of wood laying on the ground several feet to the side of
the radiator. And throwing a tiny speck of wood at somebody obviously
does no damage at all.)

Post a reply to this message