POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HL2 Speed run : Re: HL2 Speed run Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HL2 Speed run
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 9 Sep 2012 08:53:45
Message: <504c9159$1@news.povray.org>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k3pxys0fYQ
>
> That's HalfLife 2, completed in about one and a half hours. And believe
> me, *most* of this is time standing around listening to NPCs.

And of course, the original HalfLife:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN21YdyloP0

Fast way to skip a slow elevator: Just plunge to the bottom of the pit.
It turns out that if you hit the bottom, you die from fall damage. But
if you touch a ladder before you hit the ground, you sustain no damage
at all.

As Miracle of Sound put it, "I'm the shooter guy; laws of physics and
logic need not apply".

This guy has also apparently worked out that you can activate
wall-mounted switches from THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WALL! o_O I especially
like where he launches the rocket without bothering to fight his way
into the bunker at all; he just runs up to the outside wall and flicks
the switch - through the blast shield, concrete wall and bullet-proof
glass. He then RIDES THE FRIGGING ROCKET as it takes off, just for giggles.

(It seems since the designers intended you to be locked inside when the
rocket launches, they didn't actually program it to harm you, so...)

This particular speed run also features a lot of climbing out of the
level to skip vast sections of it. God only knows how you know which way
to walk when half the level isn't even being rendered!

Oh yeah, and *lots* of jumps with the gold gun. Charge that puppy up to
full power and blast it at the sky box and you can skip half the jumping
puzzles in Xen.

I have literally no idea how he just RUNS past that sound trap and
somehow doesn't get turned into minced meat!

But for me, the most astonishing thing is the jumping. This guy pulls
off jumps that usually take me an hour or more. The suspended boxes near
the beginning. The residue processing centre. Half of Xen. It's amazing
to see a level that took me 3 days get completed in 3 minutes...