POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:31:33 EDT (-0400)
  Move with the times (Message 11 to 20 of 113)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Move with the times
Date: 3 Sep 2012 16:00:24
Message: <50450c58$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/2/2012 15:47, Tim Cook wrote:
> On 2012-09-02 13:36, Darren New wrote:
>> We have those. They're called Tablet PCs. They were a commercial
>> failure, but I love mine. :-)
>
> Ditto. Only thing that'd be be better is if it were thinner, and had higher
> resolution.

No. What would make it better is if the touch screen also served as a
flat-bed scanner. ;-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 3 Sep 2012 16:00:25
Message: <50450C5B.4070506@gmail.com>
On 2-9-2012 16:09, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> Then we come to things like Twitter. Actually, before I get into this, I
> should probably back up a bit.
>
> There was a long time when I couldn't figure out what the hell the
> /point/ of all this "social media" stuff was. This is probably partly
> because I don't have any friends. But every such site I got bullied into
> joining (required XKCD quote: http://xkcd.com/146/ ) was a complete
> waste of time. You create a profile, fill out a bunch of fields, and
> that's it. There's nothing to "do" after that.
>
> On top of this, all of these sites were /shockingly/ unreliable and
> buggy. I can't even express how useless they were. They just flat-out
> DID NOT WORK PROPERLY. I've never seen such a thing from a /website/
> before. You would have thought there couldn't be too many things that
> could go wrong with a mere web page. You would be wrong, apparently.
>
> And then I joined Facebook. /This/ actually has a point. You can use it
> to /talk/ to people. You can arrange meetings. You can share any
> interesting photos you might have. You can ask people for opinions, etc.
> I'm not the type of person to sit on Facebook all day (I have far more
> interesting things to do), but it does at least do /something/ remotely
> useful.
>
> Twitter, on the other hand, baffles me. It's, like, this huge Internet
> phenomenon. Your corporation is /nothing/ unless it's on Twitter. And
> yet... Well, let me put it this way. I once had this conversation with
> my dad:
>
> Dad: So what *is* Twitter then?
> Me: You know how on Facebook you can post your status?
> Dad: Yeah?
> Me: THAT'S ALL TWITTER DOES!!
> Dad: ...WTF?

I think you are using it wrong. probably depends on who you are following.
Over the last few days I have been warned about some articles that are
relevant to my life as a member of an international organization, been
alerted for a radio-program about something relevant, seen that the UN
is raising awareness of Chagas and today participated in a national
debate on the future of technology and education.
Never once posted a status message.

> Not only that, but the few times I've actually been on Twitter, half the
> posts are replies to other people's posts, and there is LITERALLY NO WAY
> to find out what they're replies to. (!) Seriously, the most basic, most
> immediately obvious thing, the very first thing I tried to do, Twitter
> can't do. WTF?

A typical example of something that is simple, yet apparently not
intuitive for some. Although I must admit that it might also depend on
the interface. On my mobile App it is more difficult than on the webpage.

--
Women are the canaries of science. When they are underrepresented
it is a strong indication that non-scientific factors play a role

Post a reply to this message