POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google is your friend Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:09 EDT (-0400)
  Google is your friend (Message 21 to 30 of 34)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Google is your friend
Date: 4 Sep 2012 14:58:36
Message: <50464f5c$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/09/2012 02:56 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 04.09.2012 15:19, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
>
>> Surprisingly, the interview actually seemed to go fairly well - although
>> I doubt they'll be offering me the job anytime soon. And honestly, would
>> I really /want/ to continue driving nearly 100 miles per day? Plus
>> they're talking about working 8am to 6pm (rather than the usual 9 to 5),
>> plus most weekends. On top of that, it's VB... Really, this job has
>> quite a number of things against it.
>
> What? 10 hours (including breaks) a day AND most weekends? What is this?
> An 18th century factory job?

I have no answer to that.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Sep 2012 16:28:35
Message: <50466473$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/09/2012 2:19 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> Weirdly, at 9:30 in the morning, it's apparently pretty deserted. How
> odd...

Nope, rush hour is over.

> Surprisingly, the interview actually seemed to go fairly well

Glad to hear it. :-D

>  And honestly, would
> I really /want/ to continue driving nearly 100 miles per day?

No, but I drive 150 miles a day. It is tiring.

On top of that, it's VB... Really, this job has
> quite a number of things against it.

And a couple of things going for it too.
It is paid and it looks good stepping from one job to another (while you
look for something more suitable).

> Undeniably the /worst/ part, though, was getting home again.
>
> I made the stupid mistake of trying to actually use the "park and ride"
> system that the signs scream about every 200 yards or so.

If you get the job you ask your co-workers what is the best thing to do.

> I could have been killed!

Personally I think that you did something wrong. :-P

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Sep 2012 16:31:57
Message: <5046653d$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/09/2012 2:56 PM, clipka wrote:

> What? 10 hours (including breaks) a day AND most weekends? What is this?
> An 18th century factory job?

Welcome to modern Britain. ;-)

The client that I'm working for at the moment (Mercedes HPP) work from
8am to 5:30, nominally. They do a lot of unpaid overtime as well. If it
is a race weekend they work that too.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Sep 2012 18:00:27
Message: <504679fb$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 21:28:37 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>> quite a number of things against it.
>>

> And a couple of things going for it too.
> It is paid and it looks good stepping from one job to another (while you
> look for something more suitable).

Yup, sometimes you just need something to fill the gap.  Of course, you
don't tell the prospective employer that.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 6 Sep 2012 00:41:42
Message: <50482986$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/4/2012 6:19, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Consequently, I had to WALK back to my car. (Google Maps informs me that
> this is approximately 3 miles.)

In my country, google maps tells you where the bus routes stop.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "They're the 1-800-#-GORILA of the telecom business."

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 6 Sep 2012 00:42:59
Message: <504829d3$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/4/2012 13:31, Stephen wrote:
> The client that I'm working for at the moment (Mercedes HPP) work from 8am
> to 5:30, nominally. They do a lot of unpaid overtime as well. If it is a
> race weekend they work that too.

I used to do that shit, before I realized I could just say no.

From: Stephen
Date: 6 Sep 2012 01:14:03
Message: <5048311b$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/09/2012 5:41 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 9/4/2012 6:19, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> Consequently, I had to WALK back to my car. (Google Maps informs me that
>> this is approximately 3 miles.)
>
> In my country, google maps tells you where the bus routes stop.

And in Andrew's country too.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 6 Sep 2012 03:24:32
Message: <50484fb0$1@news.povray.org>
>> In my country, google maps tells you where the bus routes stop.
>>
> And in Andrew's country too.

Really? And how do you make it do that?

Besides, the council's own maps claim that the buses stop at South
Parade, despite the fact that I couldn't find any bus stops where the
bus I want stops.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Nope
Date: 6 Sep 2012 15:02:28
Message: <5048f344$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/09/2012 02:19 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Surprisingly, the interview actually seemed to go fairly well - although
> I doubt they'll be offering me the job anytime soon.

Well there's a surprise - I just got a call telling me they won't be
offering me the job.

You all saw that, right? I called it. :-P

Actually, I guess the surprising thing is the recruiter calling me at
nearly 8pm to tell me this... What the hell are those guys' office
hours?! o_O

Well, I'm not real surprised, and I didn't *really* want to work in
Oxford anyway, so...

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 6 Sep 2012 15:48:58
Message: <5048fe2a@news.povray.org>
On 06/09/2012 8:24 AM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Really? And how do you make it do that

I don't know, it just does if you zoom in close enough.
3 zooms back from max you get the icons. Click on an icon and you get
the buses that stop there.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>