POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Moon landing conspiracy theories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Moon landing conspiracy theories (Message 1 to 10 of 47)
From: Darren New
Subject: Moon landing conspiracy theories
Date: 19 Aug 2012 13:12:47
Message: <50311e8f$1@news.povray.org>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gmNz2-IS7gY#t=160s

Heh heh heh.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"
   "Don't panic. There's beans and filters
    in the cabinet."

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Moon landing conspiracy theories
Date: 19 Aug 2012 19:45:00
Message: <web.5031796925dd2f8cdbed38340@news.povray.org>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gmNz2-IS7gY#t=160s

humor is always a sure bet against nutjobs.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 20 Aug 2012 04:29:55
Message: <5031f583$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/08/2012 12:40 AM, nemesis wrote:
> humor is always a sure bet against nutjobs.

But how do you tell the jokers from the ones who are serious?

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 20 Aug 2012 09:34:48
Message: <50323cf7@news.povray.org>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gmNz2-IS7gY#t=160s

There are many, many arguments that can be used against the conspiracy
theory (eg. just the sheer *size* of the six lunar landing projects is
so enormous, with so many people involved from within and outside NASA
and the government, that it's quite a stretch of the imagination to think
that nobody has leaked out any evidence or claims during the last 40 years),
but I think these are the clearest and most convincing arguments:

1) If they never went to the Moon and at most only stayed at low Earth
orbit at all times, how did they manage to send radio signals always from
the correct direction?

Almost nobody understands the difficulty of this. I once asked this to
a conspiracy theorist (in real life), and he couldn't understand what the
problem is, even after I explained. He couldn't answer the question either.
For some reason most people think this is a completely trivial question,
even though it isn't.

You can't send the signals from a low orbit because the source of the
signal would be moving at about 5 km/s and hence would be sending signals
from the wrong location in the sky most of the time. Also the location would
be changing very rapidly (now it's directly above you, a minute later it has
moved over 300 kilometers to the side; that's like 45 degrees of change for
a typical low-orbiting satellite).

In fact, you can't send the signals from any orbit around the Earth because
you cannot possibly send them always from the correct direction all the time.

Trying to send signals from multiple satellites at the same time would mean
that many signals would be coming from wrong directions. Also, no matter
how many satellites you have, the signals would still be coming from the
wrong direction when measured from different parts of the Earth.

The only way to always send the signals from the proper direction is to
actually send a probe in the exact planned trajectory around the Earth and
from there to the Moon, then orbiting the Moon, and then back.

Well, you know what? They already had a probe like that: The lunar module.
And with people inside, so they could react to anything that was being said.

2) It's unquestionable that there's a corner-box reflector on the surface
of the Moon. How did they get it there without anybody noticing? Missions
are not exactly covert. It's not like you can just launch a rocket and
nobody will notice (especially the Soviets). Also, if you have followed
the Mars rover projects, you'll see that landing a delicate instrument is
far from trivial.

Well, you know what? They already had a perfect lander to place the
reflector on the Moon: The lunar lander. And since it was already orbiting
the Moon, what better way than to use it. (And while you are at it, why
not put people in the lander?)

3) Geologists from all around the world have been studying the lunar rocks
brought back by the lunar missions for the last 40 years. There's no question
that they are from the Moon. Nobody has given any demonstration of how you
could fake them here. (Sure, many conspiracy theorists claim that they can
be faked, but nobody has yet presented a viable method for this.)

Or perhaps all the geologists in the world are also in the conspiracy.

Of course there's an easier solution: Since we already have a lander on the
Moon, why not bring some rocks back with it?

4) Perhaps the most decisive argument of all:

The Japanese SELENE project took detailed height map data from the surface
of the moon in 2007. If you take this height map data and render the
landscape from the places where the photos have been taken, looking in the
same directions, the shape of the landscapes are identical.

There are hundreds and hundreds of photographs, taken from six different
locations, and from varying places within those locations. They all match.
Every hill, every valley... All match, and from all the places where the
photos were taken.

Exactly how was NASA able to fake the photos so perfectly? Did they send
six rovers to the surface of the Moon to take photos from different
locations? In the 1960's? And without telling anybody? And they all worked
perfectly, without failure? And nobody noticed? And they kept all this data
secret?

Or perhaps also the Japanese space program is also in the hoax?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> There are many, many arguments that can be used against the conspiracy
> theory

IMO there is only one:
F' off you idiot.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> There are many, many arguments that can be used against the conspiracy
>> theory
>
> IMO there is only one:
> F' off you idiot.

Well, it seems to be the only /effective/ at least.

Post a reply to this message

>>> There are many, many arguments that can be used against the conspiracy
>>> theory
>>
>> IMO there is only one:
>> F' off you idiot.
>
> Well, it seems to be the only /effective/ at least.

Doing anything other than that only encourages them. IME

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message