POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Moon landing conspiracy theories : Re: Moon landing conspiracy theories Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moon landing conspiracy theories
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 21 Aug 2012 16:55:12
Message: <5033f5b0$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/08/2012 08:35 PM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Some, I would argue,
> have been so sheltered in their own, and semi-related, communities, that
> the mere fact that someone not only doesn't agree, but flat out denies
> the reality of their position, and doesn't take it seriously at all, is
> a complete shock to them.

I still remember reading "Darwin's Black Box" for the first time, and
being all like "WTF? How can you print such /obviously/ false statements
and claim it to be fact? OMG!"

If you reflect on this for a moment, you will realise that actually
anyone can print anything they like. But /usually/ any book which
purports to contain scientific fact actually /does/. It was rather
shocking (to me) to find one containing such utter gibberish.

I don't mean the fact that the book questions evolution; there are
several /valid/ objections that might be voiced. I mean the way the book
holds up a few examples which fail to demonstrate that evolution doesn't
work, and then says "now that we have PROVED that evolution is false,
and therefore ID is clearly true" - wait, WTF? Are you mental? You
haven't PROVED anything yet! And even if you had, the conclusion does
not follow.

The bit that really gets me is where he points to the definition of the
scientific method and starts complaining that it's "unnecessarily
restrictive" because it doesn't admit magic, supernatural forces, and
deities. Um, yeah, that's /precisely/ what separates science (the thing
that allows the book you wrote to be printed in the first place) from
folklore and myth (which brought with them no process at all).

But I digress...

> No, have the guts to say what is the truth in such case, "You are
> talking bullshit, and an idiot for believing it." Give them links,
> evidence, facts, etc. to back it up, but don't pull the BS position of,
> "Lets sit and chat about it."

Because if you do that, you add legitimacy to their insane claims.