POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Fiber Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Google Fiber (Message 6 to 15 of 55)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Google Fiber
Date: 2 Aug 2012 12:17:51
Message: <501aa82f$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 15:32:58 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Now, at today's exchange rate, $70 is about £45 - vastly more expensive
> than any ISP package I've ever seen advertised. (Anyone wanting £30 is
> unlikely to have many takers. £15/month is more typical.)

Our 3 Mbps DSL is $49.95/month.  In the US, ISP charges tend to be a bit
more expensive.

Then again, US cable TV through Comcast was costing us $120/month.  How
much do you pay for your TV license+other TV services?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 02/08/2012 05:17 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 15:32:58 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>
>> Now, at today's exchange rate, $70 is about £45 - vastly more expensive
>> than any ISP package I've ever seen advertised. (Anyone wanting £30 is
>> unlikely to have many takers. £15/month is more typical.)
>
> Our 3 Mbps DSL is $49.95/month.  In the US, ISP charges tend to be a bit
> more expensive.

Interesting. I wonder if wages are comparably higher...

> Then again, US cable TV through Comcast was costing us $120/month.  How
> much do you pay for your TV license+other TV services?

Just looked it up. £145/year for a TV license. (That's around
£12/month.) If you use Freeview, this is the only recurring cost.

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 18:03:30 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 02/08/2012 05:17 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Aug 2012 15:32:58 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> Now, at today's exchange rate, $70 is about £45 - vastly more
>>> expensive than any ISP package I've ever seen advertised. (Anyone
>>> wanting £30 is unlikely to have many takers. £15/month is more
>>> typical.)
>>
>> Our 3 Mbps DSL is $49.95/month.  In the US, ISP charges tend to be a
>> bit more expensive.
>
> Interesting. I wonder if wages are comparably higher...

I found this:

http://blog.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/paye/tax/comparison-of-uk-and-usa-
take-home/

>> Then again, US cable TV through Comcast was costing us $120/month.  How
>> much do you pay for your TV license+other TV services?
>
> Just looked it up. £145/year for a TV license. (That's around
> £12/month.) If you use Freeview, this is the only recurring cost.

Yeah, I knew it was about £145 (£145.50 IIRC).  But you don't get 600+
channels of garbage, either. ;)

But comparatively speaking, you get off pretty cheaply.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>> Interesting. I wonder if wages are comparably higher...
>
> I found this:
>
> http://blog.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/paye/tax/comparison-of-uk-and-usa-
> take-home/

I made this:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=average+income+Kansas

On current exchange rates, that looks like considerably more money than
I will ever earn.

>> Just looked it up. £145/year for a TV license. (That's around
>> £12/month.) If you use Freeview, this is the only recurring cost.
>
> Yeah, I knew it was about £145 (£145.50 IIRC).  But you don't get 600+
> channels of garbage, either. ;)
>
> But comparatively speaking, you get off pretty cheaply.

Heh. I can still remember when I was a teenager people telling me that
"in America, you can buy a CD for just £5!" (That's 3x cheaper than the
UK.) I always wondered whether there was actually a shred of truth to
such an outlandish claim...

Post a reply to this message