POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Telling a good story Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Telling a good story (Message 18 to 27 of 57)
From: Tim Cook
Subject: Re: Telling a good story
Date: 26 Jul 2012 10:09:08
Message: <50114f84$1@news.povray.org>
On 2012-07-26 03:26, Invisible wrote:
> Another thing: I really /hate/ this idea that every character has to be
> "flawed" in some way or the audience can't like them. Was Bambi a flawed
> character? Did the audience like Bambi? Did little children cry when his
> mother was shot?

...wait, what?

WAY TO SPOIL THE MOVIE, MAN.

:(

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Jul 2012 10:15:20
Message: <501150f8$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/07/2012 03:09 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
> On 2012-07-26 03:26, Invisible wrote:
>> Another thing: I really /hate/ this idea that every character has to be
>> "flawed" in some way or the audience can't like them. Was Bambi a flawed
>> character? Did the audience like Bambi? Did little children cry when his
>> mother was shot?
>
> ...wait, what?
>
> WAY TO SPOIL THE MOVIE, MAN.
>
> :(

Required bash quote: http://www.bash.org/?176169

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 26 Jul 2012 10:34:01
Message: <50115559$1@news.povray.org>
Am 26.07.2012 10:26, schrieb Invisible:

> Another thing: I really /hate/ this idea that every character has to be
> "flawed" in some way or the audience can't like them. Was Bambi a flawed
> character? Did the audience like Bambi? Did little children cry when his
> mother was shot?

/Who/ loved Bambi?

It was mostly children, wasn't it? Children don't need flawed
characters to love them.

Adults, OTOH, typically have learned that apparently flawless people are
actually just hiding their flaws, and that you have to be careful about
befriending such types.

Post a reply to this message

>> Another thing: I really /hate/ this idea that every character has to be
>> "flawed" in some way or the audience can't like them. Was Bambi a flawed
>> character? Did the audience like Bambi? Did little children cry when his
>> mother was shot?
>
> /Who/ loved Bambi?
>
> It was mostly children, wasn't it? Children don't need flawed characters
> to love them.
>
> Adults, OTOH, typically have learned that apparently flawless people are
> actually just hiding their flaws, and that you have to be careful about
> befriending such types.

Are you telling me you don't love Bambi?

Post a reply to this message

> > Another thing: I really /hate/ this idea that every character has to be
> > "flawed" in some way or the audience can't like them. Was Bambi a flawed
> > character? Did the audience like Bambi? Did little children cry when his
> > mother was shot?

> ...wait, what?

> WAY TO SPOIL THE MOVIE, MAN.

> :(